Amp recommendation under ~$10k for Focal Utopia 2022?
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Atriya

100+ Head-Fier
What would be your recommendation for an amplifier (tube or SS) for the Focal Utopia 2022 (only), that is priced under approx $10k?

I've been considering the following options, but it's difficult to gauge how they compare, since at this price point most products will have superlative reviews.

1. Enleum 23-R
2. Zahl HM1
3. Trafomatic Head 2 (the Primavera is, unfortunately, out of budget)
4. LTA MZ3 (somewhat cheaper)

(Note: not considering the Holo Bliss)

My DAC is a Weiss 501-4ch, itself priced around $10k.

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 14
Have you asked in the Utopia thread?

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 14
Have you asked in the Utopia thread?
I have, thanks. Thought I'd ask here to reach out to more people knowledgeable about amps.

Nitsch DSHA-3FN is made with Focals in mind.

It also just looks absolutely stunning.
I've heard of that. It's just that it's difficult to compare without hearing all amps under consideration (impossible). So, I have to go with price being a rough indicator of performance, and mostly not consider amps under $5k. I'm sure the Nitsch has great reviews, like pretty much all multi thousand $ amps do, but it's hard to say how it would fare in a direct comparison with a $10k amp. Direct comparisons are few.

DNA Starlett with the original Utopia is sublime. With your budget you can get the Stellaris so yeah get that.
I've heard great things about DNA, but is it true that all tube amps sacrifice something in resolution & transparency, vs. similarly priced SS amps? At a $10k budget, I was hoping not to have to sacrifice anything.

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 14
I've heard great things about DNA, but is it true that all tube amps sacrifice something in resolution & transparency, vs. similarly priced SS amps? At a $10k budget, I was hoping not to have to sacrifice anything.
A well design amp won't mar anything in that regard. The most resolving I've heard is the EC Studio Tribute which is an SET amp. If hearsay is anything to go by, the Stellaris is one of the most technically capable amp highly transparent to source gear so it might equal the Studio in that regard.

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 14
What would be your recommendation for an amplifier (tube or SS) for the Focal Utopia 2022 (only), that is priced under approx $10k?

I've been considering the following options, but it's difficult to gauge how they compare, since at this price point most products will have superlative reviews.

1. Enleum 23-R
2. Zahl HM1
3. Trafomatic Head 2 (the Primavera is, unfortunately, out of budget)
4. LTA MZ3 (somewhat cheaper)

(Note: not considering the Holo Bliss)

My DAC is a Weiss 501-4ch, itself priced around $10k.
I have LTA MZ3 preamp from few years, its is a best of SS and tube sound signature without compromising resolution & transparency. I would highly recommend trying it though in your audio chain for synergy which differs from users to users.

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 14
LTA MZ3 would be a good pick. I've also tried the HM1 and the Cayin HA 300MK2 which also sounded really nice. I'd lean towards a tube amp for the Utopia.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 14
If you value transparency and resolution that much, then go for the original Utopias (if still available) instead the 2022 model that is worse in those aspects than its predecessor.

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 14
If you value transparency and resolution that much, then go for the original Utopias (if still available) instead the 2022 model that is worse in those aspects than its predecessor.

I've never tried the OG and probably never will, since I've already bought and had the 2022 for almost a year now. Most reviews I came across preferred the 2022 over the OG, and said that resolution/transparency were about the same. But of course I understand that opinions differ.

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 14
The 2022 has got much more bass or the bass is more pronounced (too much for my taste as it slightly reduces mids clarity) and noticeable rolled off the high frequencies making it a very safe choice, especially for certain music, if this is the type of sound (darker) one is after. I believe the original Utopias is more nuanced and articulated, unfortunately probably also almost gone (except sh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back