Amp impressions - JR-Tube Audio EL84 Headphone Amp
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

caryking

Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm not a big contributor here, on the forums; however, I do a fair amount of reading... I want to share a new amp with you guys and my initial impressions (more to come).

IMG_0613.jpeg

JR Tube Audio has been making custom amps for people all around the world. They have a solid reputation with their customers and get repeat work. So, I asked if they had a Headphone amplifier... They didn't; however, they created the one, in the picture above; based on the same chassis that they use. This model is called the Model 1HP (this is a beta version) and is becoming a production model in their lineup.

As I do more and more listening, I will provide feedback. Right now, I am finding that the amp provides a really nice soundstage (with an extremely nice location of instruments). I also find that the amp has a richness (yes, I'm going to use the dreaded organic word) to the sound that makes you want to reach out and touch an instrument...

I'll add more as I get an opportunity to compare with other amps. BTW, this amp is going to be sold at $2,590.

Also, I am not affiliated, in anyway, with JR-Tube Audio. I reached out to them and and got them to build this for me. Through my conversations, JR-Tube Audio decided to turn this into a production model.

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 7
All amplifiers start off with a 2 mm thick copper grounding plane prior to the point to point construction. This way ensure the absolute lowest noise and hum possible.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Power supply is CRCLC, with the last 2 stages of filtering split up to one section per channel. This then forming a semi dual mono PSU setup. REctification is either 5U4G or 5AR4.

Attachments

• 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back