amp for SE530 + iPhone LOD
Jan 19, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jtgamble

New Head-Fier
So, I FINALLY landed on a pair of IEMs and ordered the SE530s (customs fell through when I couldn't find a place to do the impressions for under $170 around here, and my insurance doesn't cover em
confused_face.gif
).

Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation on an amp to use with the SE530s. I'll mainly be using it with my iPhone 3g through the LOD, though I'll also be using them with my computer when the wife is asleep
wink.gif

I'd like to keep it under $200. I was looking at the iBasso t4 since its so small (which I like for carrying around with my iPhone) but after some reading I'm wondering if it may not pair that well with the SE530s?

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 15
How big of a step up do you think the Mustang is over the Tomahawk? Both look to be nicely sized for me, but I'm just wondering if the Mustang is worth $80 more than the Tomahawk?

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 15
How well do the SE530s pair with the Mustang? I guess I'm just a but wary of spending $375 on an amp if it isn't going to really push the phones to a new level.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 15
Amps can help certain cans a ton. I found the se530's to be one of the cans that did not pick up as much from amping compared to all of my other headphones. But a good amp does help a good amount.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 15
Amps can help certain cans a ton. I found the se530's to be one of the cans that did not pick up as much from amping compared to all of my other headphones. But a good amp does help a good amount.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 15
I have the tomahawk and I really think it helps bring the sound out a bit more esp if you use it with a LOD from an IPOD. My uncle has a hornet with his 530's and says that that makes a good pair as well. I have not had a chance to try the hornet though.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 15
I used a Hornet M and a mister x built XP or mini3? Can't remember anymore. Anyway, the hornet was damn good but the mini was nearly the same with more bass slam w/ the 530.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 15
Has there been any news on the Headstage arrow? It is the perfect form factor IMO, and I would be very interested in one if it will be out soon (and is actually any good).

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 15
stay away fro ibasso if you are using your iphone as source. the ibasso amps are notoriously badly shielded from RF. I find the upgrade in SQ from using an amp with SE530 to be totally worthwhile. I hear people say that they dont change with an amp because opf their high sensitivity, but IMO thats a crock; sure they do sound pretty good out of the iphone HP out (a very good HP out from apple) but for me my pico tightened up the bass nicely and gave some more extension in the highs. soundstage grew as well. rays amps are usually well shielded (although i'm not a huge fan of the sound sig), so the mustang should sound pretty good. I can attest to the pairing of pico with SE530 and iphone. that was my primary portable rig up until a few months ago.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Curious what you don't like about the sound signature or the RSA's?

Edit: and thanks for the heads up about the iBasso RF issue
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtgamble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious what you don't like about the sound signature or the RSA's?

Edit: and thanks for the heads up about the iBasso RF issue
smily_headphones1.gif

too coloured IMO; some people like the colour; I just dont happen to. for me amps are for amping, not EQ. if I want a different sound sig, I either EQ or buy new headphones

no problem on the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back