amp for Grado SR-325
Jun 23, 2002 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
Hey im finally about to buy my first headphone setup complete with amp. Ive decided to buy the Grado SR-325's after owning the Grado SR-60's and Senn 580s. Now I was wondering what to do about an amp for this. I want something that will be good from the bottom end to the top. Something thats very detailed and thats good at seperating insturments. It needs to be under 400 new also. all opinions are appreciated.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
Hey im finally about to buy my first headphone setup complete with amp. Ive decided to buy the Grado SR-325's after owning the Grado SR-60's and Senn 580s. Now I was wondering what to do about an amp for this. I want something that will be good from the bottom end to the top. Something thats very detailed and thats good at seperating insturments. It needs to be under 400 new also. all opinions are appreciated.

I would recommend the Corda Headamp for $325. My SR 80s sound great out of the 120 ohm socket and my HD 580s sound great out of the 0 ohm socket. On the budget end of things my SR80s have a very nice synergy with the basic Creek amp for around $180. The latter is my office system and my only problem with is that it sounds "too good" and I lose concentration on my work.

Nick

Jun 23, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 6
If you use only Grado cans I would get Grado RA1 amp, I think it sounds even better than Max amp for Grado cans. If you are going to have several headphones then amp list $400 or less broadens to Corda, Creek OBH-11se, or ASL Head OTL tube amp.

Batteries are a hassle, but there is a reason they use them, get some 9 volt NiMH rechargables and wall charger and your set.

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I like the Grado RA1 with my Grado 325s. Perfect clarity. No coloration. Just the music.

I'm also using a Corda HA-1 on and off. I'm trying to decide if I like it. I only use the 0 ohm jack. I think the 120 jack sounds muffled, like Senn 600s. (Sorry guys). Right now I prefer my JMT over the Corda. And the Grado beats 'em both.

YMMV. I listen to a lot of R&B, hip-hop, some jazz and blues.

Jun 23, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Grado RA-1 all the way. I used this with a few different Grado's and itw as a perfect match. I really didn't care for the MG Head match. The Cosmic did also match well. The RA-1 is one of the most under rated amps in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back