Amp/dac for long flights
Sep 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #31 of 43
I love flying with my Chord Mojo. As you say, it has a separate USB socket for charging, so you can charge it while in use, if you need to. It sounds great, is sturdy as hell, and also works well on a desk, though might get you some funny looks and people asking "what's that?". I don't think there's a portable DAC/amp device that I'd rather have more, at any price, at this point- small, sturdy, ludicrously good THD and output impedance figures.

It will drive IEMs nicely, but also drive much bigger cans too. I really can't dissuade you. I have really enjoyed travelling with mine, keeps the tunes flowing. I carry a USB power bank in case I need to top things up when I'm not near a socket, too.

It's a lovely object and in a different league to things like the Dragonfly.
Sure, you can top up the mojo while listening to music..but how do you top up your PHONE whilst listening to music? Or do you stop listening for 1 hour every 6-8 hours to charge your phone and go again?

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #32 of 43
Sure, you can top up the mojo while listening to music..but how do you top up your PHONE whilst listening to music? Or do you stop listening for 1 hour every 6-8 hours to charge your phone and go again?
If your phone does wireless charging, you can buy a qi battery charger that you phone can lay on and also via it's more traditional usb ports, charge your DAC.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #33 of 43
Don't feel bad, I live in London, and couldn't find anywhere to demo Hifiman planar magnetics. It's what we get for being nerds
smily_headphones1.gif
Harrods has a new headphone/audio section that may have the Hifimans to try out.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #34 of 43
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #35 of 43
Ah, an old post necro'ed.

I ended up going with a Dragonfly Red and a split media adapter for my Iphone. It provides a USB type A port along with a Lightening port and a male lightening adapter. It allowed me to connect the dragonfly to my phone and the phone to a wall wort plugged into the power outlet at my seat on the plane. It worked perfectly for 13+ hours in the air both ways.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2A...rd_wg=2WX2M&psc=1&refRID=B861JK3G6WK4CG5WBZRC

I have looked and there are similar adapters for android.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Hittime-Adap...rd_wg=yAAlz&psc=1&refRID=YNTD3S7MH7JCH9P26MFW

-Xhypno

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #36 of 43
Depending on your what port your phone uses, I have used this with microusb Android phones and it charges both the phone and the Dac/amp just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V81L9M8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wow that's amazing. unfortunately i have usb c phones and android's implementation of usb c ...idk if it's that or what but pixel, nexus, LGG6 none of them can use this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portab...01D0XTF9U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #37 of 43
wow that's amazing. unfortunately i have usb c phones and android's implementation of usb c ...idk if it's that or what but pixel, nexus, LGG6 none of them can use this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portab...01D0XTF9U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

so to note, a friend with a newer Galaxy with USB-c wanted to try my Dragonfly Red. He used the USB-A + USB-c -> USB-c adapter from my macbook pro. It worked perfectly and you can get a clone of the apple version from Monoprice or startech for less then $20 USD.

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #38 of 43
so to note, a friend with a newer Galaxy with USB-c wanted to try my Dragonfly Red. He used the USB-A + USB-c -> USB-c adapter from my macbook pro. It worked perfectly and you can get a clone of the apple version from Monoprice or startech for less then $20 USD.
wow really? i gotta tyr this out. I despise galaxy's stupid interface but i'd switch if that works. I tried the same thing with my pixel, pixel XL, LGG6 and nexus6p nothing worked. (note: i used the adapter that came with my MBP too).

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #39 of 43
If your phone does wireless charging, you can buy a qi battery charger that you phone can lay on and also via it's more traditional usb ports, charge your DAC.
This is a really neat idea... and I am +1 for the Mojo... For its size (which is super small), I think its great for anyone using it on the go. I'm defining "on the go" as in you are able to easily fit it in a pocket. Sorry you don't have it anywhere near you to demo! I keep hearing people with that problem.IMG_7899.JPG
(I do have a monster hand, so maybe it's not a fair comparison lol. I also wanted to show the mojo on top of my phone to show the size of it, but then I had nothing to shoot the picture with... yeah, stupid I know!)
Anyways it can totally be a DAC upgrade for use as a desktop set up to a lot of people. Don't let the size fool ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #40 of 43
This is a really neat idea... and I am +1 for the Mojo... For its size (which is super small), I think its great for anyone using it on the go. I'm defining "on the go" as in you are able to easily fit it in a pocket. Sorry you don't have it anywhere near you to demo! I keep hearing people with that problem.
(I do have a monster hand, so maybe it's not a fair comparison lol. I also wanted to show the mojo on top of my phone to show the size of it, but then I had nothing to shoot the picture with... yeah, stupid I know!)
Anyways it can totally be a DAC upgrade for use as a desktop set up to a lot of people. Don't let the size fool ya
I was in NYC this summer and was able to demo it in the audio46 store. I really enjoyed it but did not like the RF noise it made with the two phones I tried ( iPhone 6s and Lumia 950xl). Do you have the same issues with your Mojo and your phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back