amp/dac for cowon i7
May 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

morgoth

New Head-Fier
hello, community members

i have read the threads in this forum for about a year now and they were very helpful in choosing my audio gear, so it would be excellent if u guys can solve this problem for me

i have an cowon iaudio7 and recently bought some hd 25 and i am very pleased of both but the i7 doesn't amplify enough the headphones and then i started reading about headphone amps and which amps to buy

after a while i decided for an rsa hornet but i was wondering if the fact that the i7 has an dac and that the hornet has another one isn't a bad thing for my sound quality(i mean how does this think work, are there 2 sound conversions?, only one dac works?, i really don't know)

it would be great if someone could explain to me before i buy the hornet, considering that my sallary is about 300$( i live in romania
smily_headphones1.gif
) ), and i am prepared to spend 370$ for the hornet while a simple amp is about 100$

May 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 5
You must be confusing the Hornet and Predator. Predator has a USB DAC, Hornet has no DAC. To amp your i7 you need just an amp, not a DAC/amp combo. The Predator's DAC is USB only, for using with a computer. Amping the i7 works very well...I've been using the RSA P-51 with my i7, max volume on the i7(40/40) with a standard mini to mini (3.5mm) cable to connect the two.

May 29, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 5
You can't bypass the chip from your Cowon i7 unless it has a digital out. If it doesn't have a digital out, and you use the headphone jack, then as the signal is analog it will not be converted to analog, as it is already like that.

DAC = digital to analog converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back