AMC 8b vs. NAD C541i
May 5, 2002 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hinors14

New Head-Fier
Where I live their price is pretty much the same. I'm hearing good things about both player and I can't really figure out which one is the best. Which player would you prefer?

hinors14

May 5, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 8
I've heard the NAD 541. I'm not sure what the "i" version has. Anyway NAD's are usually a good buy.

May 5, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven't heard the NAD, but I have an AMC CD8b that I use for my main system. I'm happy with it, but haven't really done any comparisons with it just to let you know.

May 5, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 8
....and I haven't heard the AMC CD8b, but have the NAD C541i in my headphone rig. I especially like the fact that the NAD has HDCD decoding.

I too wonder what the "i" version has that the non-"i" doesn't.
confused.gif

May 5, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I too wonder what the "i" version has that the non-"i" doesn't.
confused.gif

Two of the new features include a newly designed remote control and the HDCD capability (according to the NAD site). There are a few others as well.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the AMC player and am very happy with it, but as jerikl stated, I haven't done any a/b with other CDPs.
I did a search for the NAD and came up with this, from Gramaphone Magazine, regarding the differences between the "i" and non "i" models.:

NAD upgrades popular CD playersMarch 4 2002**
NAD has launched 'i' versions of its C521 and C541 players, bringing enhanced performance and additional features to two of its best-selling products. The principal change is to the CD mechanisms used, which are now fully compatible with CD-R and CD-RW discs, and offer 'significantly reduced jitter' and improved tracking of discs, especially those 'burnt' at home on CD-R/RW blanks, and thus better sound than that offered by the original players. NAD C541i
The C541i has a flatter frequency response than the original C541, enhancing realism, but the players continue to use Burr-Brown sigma/delta conversion: 20-bit in the C521i and 24-bit in the more expensive C541i. Separate power regulation is used for the analogue and digital sections of the players.
The more expensive player, which offers HDCD compatibility, also has upgraded passive components, for example using Nichicon Muse capacitors in sound-critical areas for better performance, and a new remote handset is supplied adding more facilities. The player also has a standby mode, operable from the remote, an external infrared sensor or a 12v trigger connection, this ensuring better compatibility with multiroom control systems such as Crestron and Aegis.

May 5, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the AMC player and am very happy with it, but as jerikl stated, I haven't done any a/b with other CDPs.
I did a search for the NAD and came up with this, from Gramaphone Magazine, regarding the differences between the "i" and non "i" models.:

NAD upgrades popular CD playersMarch 4 2002**
NAD has launched 'i' versions of its C521 and C541 players, bringing enhanced performance and additional features to two of its best-selling products. The principal change is to the CD mechanisms used, which are now fully compatible with CD-R and CD-RW discs, and offer 'significantly reduced jitter' and improved tracking of discs, especially those 'burnt' at home on CD-R/RW blanks, and thus better sound than that offered by the original players. NAD C541i
The C541i has a flatter frequency response than the original C541, enhancing realism, but the players continue to use Burr-Brown sigma/delta conversion: 20-bit in the C521i and 24-bit in the more expensive C541i. Separate power regulation is used for the analogue and digital sections of the players.
The more expensive player, which offers HDCD compatibility, also has upgraded passive components, for example using Nichicon Muse capacitors in sound-critical areas for better performance, and a new remote handset is supplied adding more facilities. The player also has a standby mode, operable from the remote, an external infrared sensor or a 12v trigger connection, this ensuring better compatibility with multiroom control systems such as Crestron and Aegis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back