Am i missing out by using google music/youtube music instead of something like tidal or spotify?
Sep 18, 2019 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gunnilinux

Head-Fier
I am working on getting a decent music collection on my plex server so i can stop paying for a music service, but I use google music (and youtube music at work since google music is blocked) right now. I am honestly not sure that i can even tell the difference between downloaded FLAC files vs streaming them.
Any advice on training my ears to appreciate higher quality music?

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 7
I am working on getting a decent music collection on my plex server so i can stop paying for a music service, but I use google music (and youtube music at work since google music is blocked) right now. I am honestly not sure that i can even tell the difference between downloaded FLAC files vs streaming them.
What are you playing the music through? That is the big question. If you're using a basic phone with a headphone jack, and some basic thrown in a phone package iems, then the answer is, not really

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 7
What are you playing the music through? That is the big question. If you're using a basic phone with a headphone jack, and some basic thrown in a phone package iems, then the answer is, not really
It varies, but at home i have an LCD-4 powered by a Topping DX7s, and at work i am running ZMF Eikons through a Fiio e17/e09k. I do use my sony WH1000MX3 with my LG V40 as well.
I only recently got into the whole high end gear stuff and need to understand the music aspect better to get the most out of the gear i think.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 7
It varies, but at home i have an LCD-4 powered by a Topping DX7s, and at work i am running ZMF Eikons through a Fiio e17/e09k. I do use my sony WH1000MX3 with my LG V40 as well.
I only recently got into the whole high end gear stuff and need to understand the music aspect better to get the most out of the gear i think.
Based off of your headphone choices, I'd say yes. Google play music has the lowest quality of all the services, being 320kbps mp3. Amazon music hd has a 90 day trial. It's a little wonky on bitrates right now, but the ultra HD as they put it and he audio being cd quality and above sounds really good

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 7
if goog/youtube music that you're playing is above 128kbs you'll have a very hard time differentiating that from anything you hear on tidal, spotify, deezer, etc., as long as you're playing at them at 'high' quality.

seriously.

go with the service who's ui and other products you like the best: suggestions/playlists/discovery/catalog and that's it.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I listen to a majority of my music off of YouTube, and I've owned $4000 headphones. Sounds the same to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back