Am I getting "too" carried away too fast?
Jun 16, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #16 of 24
The Cardas is not universally better than the Clou under any and all circumstances. Flumpus, Kelly, and I A/B'ed the Cardas against the blue Clou on a Headroom Max. Flumpus and I liked the Clou whereas Kelly preferred the Cardas.

It's true that the Cardas and Equinox are the top of the line cable upgrades for the Sennheiser 580/600, but each one has a different character. The Clou approximates a lower level "Equinox experience", so if that's the flavor you prefer, the Cardas isn't even in the running...

Everyone beats up on the poor Clou, but it actually performs very well and for $89 is twice as affordable.

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I think I've only seen one person say they liked the Clous better than the Cardas, and no one who's like the Clous better than the Equinox.

No, I'm pretty sure I've read a couple people saying that they prefered the Clou under certain circumstances (DarkAngel, Hirsch...anyone else?).

Jun 16, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 24
I sent an email to Jan Meier asking his thoughts on my idea of upgrading to the Corda HA-1 and Sennheiser 600's. A prompt reply this morning made me very happy. Of course Jan didn't think I was foolish in my upgrade decision or my choice of the Corda HA-1, but he did suggest getting the Beyerdynamic DT931 headphones instead of the Sennheiser 600's.

Now I've been reading up on the Corda + 931 combination. What are YOUR thoughts? I wish I could demo these headphones (any place in Colorado Springs or Denver where I can AB these headphones, or at least listen to them?). I love my Ety ER4 canal phones, and my Grado SR-80's are ok, but I want phones that have the quality of the Etys, yet are easier to take on and off, and aren't as closed as the Ety's. My wife has to flash the lights on and off in my office to get my attention without scaring me. That's why I thought I'd replace the Grados with the Sennheisers. But now the Beyerdynamic DT931 are coming into the equation. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Michael

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 24
IIRC the Turquoise IC was made about '97-'98, and retailed for about $50, and was well reviewed... personally i'd keep hold of it
smily_headphones1.gif

just my $0.02

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #21 of 24
i am still very new at this but...

if at all possible i would recommend that anyone who can get their butts to a headroom world tour stop!

i am fresh off of the ny one and it was great. i am bummed i didn't make to to both boston and ny but schedules got in the way.

i would upgrade your headphone cables. before yesterday i thought that the headphone cable upgrade was probably a BS marketing thing to part us with our money.

yesterday i listened to two pairs of senn 600's plugged into the headroom max amp.

one had the factory cable and the other the cardas. the difference was amazing.

one of those things where i wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't heard it myself.

i have a total airhead 9v with senn 600's

i'm going to be upgrading the cable asap and i will probably be ordering a cosmic very soon. the cosmic to me sounded like the best bang for the buck.

the maxed out was very close but the portability option for the cosmic was a BIG plus.

plus with the cosmic you can also add the base station power supply to make it even a little more cosmic!

matthew

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 24
matthewd5,

Thanks for your reply.

I wish I could attend a Headroom stop, but it's just not possible this summer -- had I only followed this forum mid-May when Headroom came to Denver.

From your observations, how does the Cosmic compare to the Corda HA-1? I understand that there's a difference in price between these two amps. Is double the cost of the Cosmic worth it over the Corda amp?

Michael

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 24
well. i literally listened to every amp there.

i volunteered and tyll asked me to set the volume levels on all the demo stuff.

it was a tough job but somebody had to do it!

just about everything sounded great but the standouts for me were the cosmic, the max, and the blockhead.

the blockhead was amazing, almost too much bass!

the cosmic with hd-600's and the cardas cable blew me away.

you could spend a lot more but short of the blockhead i can't see more bang for the buck than the cosmic with the senn-600's, with the possible addition of the base station power supply.

i am still blown away at the difference the cardas cable made over the stock cable.

matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back