alternative foam tips for Etymotic hf5?
Jan 25, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tripleflange

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've read all the posts I can find about foam tips but I'm not clear if anything other than the foam tips that ship with the hf5 will fit? E.g. will the Shure black olives fit the hf5? Any of the Comply? And would it be a perfect fit or would only part (or too much) of the sound tube be covered?

The foam tips that come with the hf5 seem okay but they make the earphones stick out of my ears more than I would like and the isolation isn't as good as I imagined (maybe related).

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 11
Foam NO GOOD !!!! you throw away foam !!!! Trash Trash !! Very quickly!!!

The only place I like memory foam is on my bed and pillows. Although memory foam in leather covers sounds like it could work for full sized Headphone pads.
I have acrylic customs and I can feel the bass in the skin of my ear and there is no foam sticking out to absorb any of the sound coming out of the ear tubes. I prefer the silcone bi or tri flange tips for my Universal IEMs.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Currently, Comply do not manufacture any tips that fit the HF5's, probably because of how new they are. I am also pretty sure that Black Olives would not work due to how long the tube is on the HF5's. Anyone else know?

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Bummer, thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was thinking- the tube is pretty long on the hf5.

@boomy- I tried out the triple flange but it doesn't seem to give much isolation and I'm desperate for every last db I can get...

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 11
1. HF5 has the same tube as ER 4, if they fit ER 4 they fit HF5

2. Get some of ety's new glider tips, they are hands down the best isolation I've ever had between every other ety tip, foam earplugs, and a few other IEMs. They go in fairly deep if you just keep pushin.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 11
Tips are not all that magic - they either fit on the tubes or they don't. You can also stretch some tips to fit if they are a little too tight (just be careful not to break the stems of your phones!)

You can also make your own tips from ear plugs - there are a few threads on head-fi about that - try searching for diy tips.

Everyone's ears are different - foam, silicon, soft, hard, large, medium, small - the type and size of tip is completely a personal decision.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foam NO GOOD !!!! you throw away foam !!!! Trash Trash !! Very quickly!!!

Times one million!!

@ the OP:
If you're having trouble with the Ety tri flange seal, try the Baby BLue tips or the biflange mod.

1. Instead of buying(and rebuying) consumable foams, try the Etymotic baby blue tips. They're the same triple flanged tips, just narrower for a smaller ear.

2. Try cutting off the largest flange on the regular triflange tips. Your seal problems may be due to the large flange being too large and preventing a good seal. Biflange may work better.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 11
i use the comply slim tipps on my HF5 and it is outstanding..great sound and isolation..

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 11
I am currently using Klipsch gels (which I harvested from my custom-2's) on my hf5. I use the small bi-flange, which allow deeper insertion. The also allow me to adjust for better sound. I am planning on trying the Comply slims. Where do you get the gliders, anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back