ALO Headphone Mods/Recabling?
Nov 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
i am very interested in your headphone mods - esp. recabling of headphones, but there is no information about it on your website. do you only sell the items listed on the headphone mod page or will you recable/mod any headphone. do you offer Senn cables. if so, what are the options and prices in terms of wiring, length, sleeves, connectors. or should we just contact you to tell you what we are interested in and then wait for a price quote.

thanks

edit: i just saw there was a thread on this topic on the following page, but still not a lot of information. but i take it from that thread that if we are interested in a headphone mod or recabling job or headphone cable, we should contact you. still it would be nice to have some general prices, list of options, and descriptions of services for comparison purposes.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Just for tease...ALO HF-1!
smily_headphones1.gif

ALO_HF1%23462.JPG

I gotta spend less on headfi and get a decent camera
blink.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am very interested in your headphone mods - esp. recabling of headphones, but there is no information about it on your website.

Hi vcoheda, thanks for the post - good question.

The headphones on the website are completed modified headphones, what you see is the actual product. I also have new Grado SR225s that are unmodified and can make variations of the mod to these.
Quote:

do you only sell the items listed on the headphone mod page or will you recable/mod any headphone.

Yes I only work with Grados and AKG701s.
Quote:

do you offer Senn cables. if so, what are the options and prices in terms of wiring, length, sleeves, connectors. or should we just contact you to tell you what we are interested in and then wait for a price quote.

I do get many emails from customers asking about custom work, some headphone jobs but again only AKG701s and Grados
Quote:

thanks

edit: i just saw there was a thread on this topic on the following page, but still not a lot of information. but i take it from that thread that if we are interested in a headphone mod or recabling job or headphone cable, we should contact you.

Yes contact via email please. Sorry I do not have more info on the webpage regarding headphone modifications. I would rather just sell completed headphones like the ones you see on the page as I really do not make much doing a recable only for someone.
Quote:

still it would be nice to have some general prices, list of options, and descriptions of services for comparison purposes.

Right, the main reason I do not have information on these services is because of the above. I mainly want to sell modified headphones as oppose to modding peoples cans, its purely a business decision based on the time it takes to do the mod and what I might be able to ask for the job. I hope you understand. Its not that I will not mod someones phones its just that for a little more you can simply buy the completed headphone from me. At any rate if anyone has any questions about a mod job please simply email me (audiolineout@gmail.com).

Thanks!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 8
I've been an SR225 guy for about four years now, and, from my reading about the RS-1 and RS-2, I do not think that I want to change my headphone in quite that direction. I want to hear the SR225 sound, but as good as it can be.

Enter Ken Ball and ALO:
Ken is such an artist, visually and sonically, that, when I saw that he chose the SR225 as a can to mod, I knew that he was the one to mod me a maximum SR225. Well, a few emails and option choices later, here are my (now a few weeks old) ALO Custom-modded SR225, with 18G Jena Labs Ultra Cryo wire from plug to fork and 22G Ultra Cryo wire from fork to cups in Bacote wood:

ALO-SR225-18GJena-Becote.jpg.w560h402.jpg

As lovely as they look (when I first saw them, I could not quite believe that they were really mine), their sound leaves their looks behind. They have the SR225 sound, but with quite a good deal more capacity to present sound along many dimensions. What is most interesting to me is that these Grados are PERFECT for jazz, instrumental, orchestral, classical piano and human voice - quite a bit more realistically life-like in timbre and spatial imaging than the Senn HD650 (with a Cardas replacement cable - Equinox cable on order). This is accomplished without losing its transporting sound for rock, trance, dream, shoegaze, goth, trip-hop and electronica of many genres. This customized SR225 is an amazing listening instrument for the full (and very eclectic) range of music that I listen to. It is WELL worth EVERY penny I paid for it.

When such an artist as Ken gets the opportunity to bring one of his ideas into existence, Beauty Happens!!!

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been an SR225 guy for about four years now, and, from my reading about the RS-1 and RS-2, I do not think that I want to change my headphone in quite that direction. I want to hear the SR225 sound, but as good as it can be.

Enter Ken Ball and ALO:
Ken is such an artist, visually and sonically, that, when I saw that he chose the SR225 as a can to mod, I knew that he was the one to mod me a maximum SR225. Well, a few emails and option choices later, here are my (now a few weeks old) ALO Custom-modded SR225, with 18G Jena Labs Ultra Cryo wire from plug to fork and 22G Ultra Cryo wire from fork to cups in Bacote wood:

ALO-SR225-18GJena-Becote.jpg.w560h402.jpg

As lovely as they look (when I first saw them, I could not quite believe that they were really mine), their sound leaves their looks behind. They have the SR225 sound, but with quite a good deal more capacity to present sound along many dimensions. What is most interesting to me is that these Grados are PERFECT for jazz, instrumental, orchestral, classical piano and human voice - quite a bit more realistically life-like in timbre and spatial imaging than the Senn HD650 (with a Cardas replacement cable - Equinox cable on order). This is accomplished without losing its transporting sound for rock, trance, dream, shoegaze, goth, trip-hop and electronica of many genres. This customized SR225 is an amazing listening instrument for the full (and very eclectic) range of music that I listen to. It is WELL worth EVERY penny I paid for it.

When such an artist as Ken gets the opportunity to bring one of his ideas into existence, Beauty Happens!!!

Sbulack,

Your too kind, thank you for the nod. Thanks for the impressions!

If you thought the 225s with that cable were awesome... I just got back a pair of GS-1000s from GradoLabs via TTVJ who brokered this same cable installation in the GS-1000s. I have to report that the GS-1000s with that cable is something very special. I hope to have the cable to offer via a upgrade through TTVJ at some point in the future - the details and final "ok" are still to be determined. When you buy a GS-1000 you can also buy the cable upgrade (again, not yet available). Right off the bat the GS-1000s with the cable obliterated everything I have in the shop or any openback headphone I have heard to date, so good I immediately sent Todd another cable to send to Grado so I can have 2 of them. Pictures to follow.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sbulack,

Your too kind, thank you for the nod. Thanks for the impressions!

If you thought the 225s with that cable were awesome... I just got back a pair of GS-1000s from GradoLabs via TTVJ who brokered this same cable installation in the GS-1000s. I have to report that the GS-1000s with that cable is something very special. I hope to have the cable to offer via a upgrade through TTVJ at some point in the future - the details and final "ok" are still to be determined. When you buy a GS-1000 you can also buy the cable upgrade (again, not yet available). Right off the bat the GS-1000s with the cable obliterated everything I have in the shop or any openback headphone I have heard to date, so good I immediately sent Todd another cable to send to Grado so I can have 2 of them. Pictures to follow.

Ken

Having herd those GS-1000, all I can say is that they are just jaw dropping.

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 8
See? It's just as I posted above. When such an artist as Ken has an opportunity to bring one of his ideas into existence, Beauty Happens!!! Keep making and spreading the beauty, Ken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back