ALMOST DONE! Porter Cryo VS. FIM Outlet?
Oct 17, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #16 of 22
I'd enter some feedback here as to my fist impressions of the RS cables but the MG Head OTL mkII amp that I got in the mail today is faulty and the right channel is dead.
Took the panel off and found that the solder connection was broken, behind all these wires and don't feel like risking fixing it myself.
Facing my impatience but I've waited for over 2 years to buy the thing...
Additonally, my Cambridge Audio CD player remote doesn't work.
It felt warm and I popped the batteries out and one of them was HOT.
Not as in warmer than in should be but as in f'n hurt to hold it.
Bad battery, I think (supplied, ruined the remote.
Wouldn't be so bad except that it's the only way to adjust volume.
I bought the amp from Galen Carol audio so I'm no too worried about it, he seems to be quite friendly and very professional.
I JUST WANT MY FRIGGIN' MUSIC!!!!!

Oct 17, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 22
Man, sorry to hear about the problems with the gear futant! Really bummed to hear that. Glenn Carol will take it and replace/fix it for you I'm sure. They're very reputable and will stand behind what they sell. And I was hoping to hear what you had to say about the cables myself. Oh well, patience is a virtue, and vrtues are only learned thru adversity.

Oct 18, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 22
Working on patience...
With some things I'm incredibly patient (people, mostly).
But WHEN I WANT SOMETHING and don't have it I become consumed by it's absence and obsess until I obtain it or get to the point where I need to release the desire before it kills me.
Luckily I overreacted, my friend here in the cable shop on the lot soldered it for me, better than new, so I'll be up and listening in...

45 minutes.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by futant
Working on patience...
With some things I'm incredibly patient (people, mostly).
But WHEN I WANT SOMETHING and don't have it I become consumed by it's absence and obsess until I obtain it or get to the point where I need to release the desire before it kills me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, from what I've read on this site you're all alone in that respect. The rest of us, we just order the stuff we could never afford before, then patiently await its arrival. In fact, we're so patient we sometimes get it home and let it sit while we enjoy the old stuff we have sitting around.

tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #20 of 22
Yeah, well, I'm unique.
I'm also new to all of this and I've aited (may I remind you) for 2.5 years since I've had my Sennheisers to buy an amp.
THAT could be called patience... or stupidity.
I've got to get back to listening but I just wanted to escape for a minute to say that I AM BLOWN AWAY by what I'm hearing (pre-burn-in,etc) and I haven't even received my headphone upgrade cable yet.
I'm so happy, smiling even during the sad songs.
Thank you all, again, for your input. I'm very pleased at having just entered your world.
-Barclay

Oct 18, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 22
Barclay,

I'm sure the sarcasm was caught, but we're all the same. We are biting our nails and hourly checking the tracking number until the UPS or FedEx delivery guy comes to our door and we nearly knock him over in our haste to get the new item and plug it in right away.

Things are a bit different for me since I do live in Ecuador. I order stuff and then wait for anywhere up to 4 months before I can find someone who can bring it down to me in their luggage so as to avoid the huge customs costs or risking losing the item en route. My Stax amp and cans sat around in the states from May until just about three weeks ago. Needless to say, I was glad when they finally arrived and I was able to sample my first taste of electrostatic bliss.

I can't tell you how please I am to hear that you are loving the new system. It is always such a blessing to hear someone express their joy at hearing a really fine headphone rig for the first time. Your exhuberence and attitude really remind us of why we got into this sickness. We sometimes run astray and focus so much on the minutae that we miss the point: hearing good music. The joy can quickly become an obsession that robs us of that joy. I fell into that trap and finally got back out. I hope that you just continue to get a huge amount of pleasure just enjoying what you have.

Oct 19, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 22
Nicely put.
I'm trying to avoid the illness that you describe.
Even at this early point in the game I can feel a tug towards obsession.
Today listening was even better than last night (when I stuck to the new APC album, mostly, just hearing the differences and new notes, previously hidden whispers and breathes and string vibrations) as I went through some of my favorite CDs.
I'm just waiting for my Brick Wall surge protector (to do this right) and to order a headphone upgrade cable (will it really improve the sound that much?) and then, myself willing, I'm done for a while.
If I don't just stop at some point and, like you said, ENJOY THE MUSIC I could miss everything truly pleasant and rewarding about what it is that I'm trying to do for myself.
Gotta keep the beast under control...
Like anything else that's exciting and brings joy it can become an illness,
a dependency, an attempt to fill the void, perhaps.
Glad to hear that you pulled yourself out of it (and your words helped to remind me to stay pure in this experience).
Enough with the heaviness, I'm off to listen to some harpsicord (I NEVER listen to harpsicord, EVER, but it sounds so good suddenly...).
Take care Doug, enjoy your STAX!!!
-Barclay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back