Almarro for K1000
Dec 19, 2007 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rowdy

New Head-Fier
Any forumers out there using Almarro Integrated Tube amps? How are they? I recently stumbled upon the rather small A205A MkII amp from Almarro that comes with an XLR jack specifically for K1000s.

As I am new to the K1000, any owners out there can advise on whether this will be a good amp for the earspeakers. Reason I am asking is that the Almarro apparently puts out only 5WPC whereas some forumers have remarked that the K1000 needs at least 7WPC.

Another issue is the XLR mod, plugging the hardwire part of the K1000 into the amplifier would negate 10ft or so of the other part of the cable. I understand as well that the K1000 need at least 8ft of cable to sound optimal.

Essentially, I am looking for a smallish integrated amp to drive my K1000, preferably tubes, so if the Almarro is OK, will probably make a beeline for it.
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 9
Rowdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy
Essentially, I am looking for a smallish integrated amp to drive my K1000, preferably tubes, so if the Almarro is OK, will probably make a beeline for it.

I'd say make a bee-line for it!

Having heard the baby Almarro drive the might Zu Def floorstanders, I could not believe what an outstanding amp this is for the $$$. Not sure, however I believe H'Fier JonL might have this same setup and perhaps he might weigh in or you may PM him to get his take. Nevertheless, 5W / channel should be sufficient for the K1Ks. Good luck.

Cheers,
Garry

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rowdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any forumers out there using Almarro Integrated Tube amps? How are they? I recently stumbled upon the rather small A205A MkII amp from Almarro that comes with an XLR jack specifically for K1000s.

.. I understand as well that the K1000 need at least 8ft of cable to sound optimal.

Interesting. As far as I know, I have the *only* A205a Mkii with the factory 4 pin XLR jack, unless you're talking about a DIY XLR jack. Where did you "stumble" upon this amp?
img2154fj1.jpg

And where in the world did you hear you need at least 8 foot of cable for optimal sound? Absolutely false. Any time you hear somebody say inserting *more* cabling, parts, etc in the signal path is better, well...

With these points made, yes do get the A205a MkII. With decent source, it sounds fabulous driving speakers, K1000, and more importantly for me, Sennheiser HE60 electrostats (via SRD7 MkII adapter). The HE60 synergy is actually scary good, so much so I'm thinking about ordering another custom A205a MkII with built in electrostat transformers
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Well actually I read about the minimum cable length on the Stefan Audioart website. Anyway, I stumbled upon this available mod on an Australian Site. Alternatively, my distributer here in Singapore can request for a 'special' delivery.
Thanks for the incredibly fast feedback, this site rocks!

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 9
I used to run my K1000's off the Almarro A205a MKII, very good synergy. I only sold it as I had too many other amps that I could use with the K1000. I used the speaker terminals to connect them to my headphones, although having Jon's 4pin XLR output would have been way more convenient to switch between headphones and speakers. For the price it is a killer deal. I kept my NOS tubes for it as I figured one day I might just buy another one...

You can also mod them by replacing the stock .047uf cap with a better quality cap or larger uF to boost the low-end response, a cheap and easy mod that makes a great amp sound even better.

I prefer simple tube amps and simple circuits, the Almarro is fits that description and sounds good too.

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 9
I've slowly started searching for proper amp for my K1000s, and have stumbled on a few threads (such as this) about Almarro 205 mkII. This also seems to hit the right price point for me. Also, it looks like there is an official dealer here in HK! One quick question: do you get sufficient volume for the K1000s from this amp?

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 9
OK answered my own question. As there is an official Almarro dealer here in HK, just stopped by today. They had one last A205 mkII in stock, otherwise 4-5 month wait (btw all the other Almarro amps were out of stock). We open it up in the store to check, as he goes on about the only two color choices, whitish and black, and he's only seen very few black ones (which I knew from researching the web and company site)...then What - it's PURPLE?!!
eek.gif
So I throw caution to the wind, and bought it. I'm just listening to snippets through the K1000 as this cooks in a bit, I really like what I hear. (Still not sure about this color, but sounds damn good!). The answer to my question btw is it plenty powerful for K1000.

Almarro.jpg

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP
then What - it's PURPLE?!!
eek.gif
So I throw caution to the wind, and bought it. I'm just listening to snippets through the K1000 as this cooks in a bit, I really like what I hear. (Still not sure about this color, but sounds damn good!). The answer to my question btw is it plenty powerful for K1000.

Jim,

Congrats on the new 205 MkII. Purple - certainly different . . . but not really bad at all. I'm assuming you've been dealing with King @ HIT . . . he told me that your amp colour is actually part of the new Barney the Dinosaur special edition
wink.gif
. . . probably goin' to worth big bucks someday.

Seriously though, I know what you mean about the Almarro's being out if stock - I've awaiting delivery of an A318B for about 3 months and here's hoping it's in soon.

Good luck and enjoy your new kit.

Cheers,
Garry

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 9
yes HIT Audio, very nice guy. He said it's several months for any new Almarro amps. Would have loved to have seen/heard the A318 but he didn't even have a demo model (out of my league anyway). My destiny for my K1000 must have been this one-of-kind purple A205AmkII. yes, I checked, there is a special barney sticker on the bottom to prove authenticity. Next, I'll just paint my K1000 grills purple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back