Almarro A205A Mark II questions
Aug 13, 2006 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
The new version of this integrated amp now has a headphone out, in addition to three inputs. I was considered this amp as an alternative to my current set-up: a MAD EAR++ headphone/pre-amp feeding the amp section of a Rega Mira, all hooked up to Rega Jura speakers. I know that single-ended amps like the 205 are normally recommended with high efficiency speakers, and that the Juras are not the most efficient (approximately 89db). If my listening room is approx. 12 x 20, and I do not play my music at very loud levels, will the 205's 5 watts be enough? Also, what else is lost, sound-wise, besides volume when an amp does not have enough wattage for speakers. Finally, has anybody heard this amp with headphones? There was this review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audioreviews.html. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 3
If you start with an 89 dB at 1 W you may get 95 dB with 4 W which is about the most using a 5 W amp. I do not know what the headroom of said amp is but chances are you will loose in dynamics. If you were to start with higher efficiency speakers like an Omega with 96 dB w/ 1 W or Klipsch at over 102 dB w/ 1 W then the 5 wpc amp might do it.

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Ahh, the question is, do I play my music louder than 95db? And, the other questions is, what are the benefits of a single-ended-pentode amp if you do not have efficient speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back