All my MP3s sound like the chipmonks...(@#%!)
Aug 26, 2004 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Davie

1000+ Head-Fier
I've recently tried playing some mp3s on my office computer. They all play sped up so they sound like the chipmonks. Anybody know if this can be cured? I'll admit it's an advantage to be able to listen to music in half the normal time, but in every other respect this really SUCKS!!

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
What program are you playing them with?

WinAmp, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player. Doesn't seem to matter what player I'm using.

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
What soundcard is it? Do other formats (WAV, Ogg, MPC, FLAC, etc) exhibit the same problem?

Those are good questions, Mr. Radar. Thanks for asking for the info that I should have included in the first place...
blink.gif

Sound card: Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller

As for the other formats, I don't seem to have any files in those formats here at the office (apart from system wav's). So I'll have to check that out tomorrow (unless anyone knows some place I can download one).

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Maybe you have some driver installed with a "speed-up" filter installed ? Since you said you copied them to your office computer, I'm assume those mp3s will play fine at home?

Aug 27, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
As for the other formats, I don't seem to have any files in those formats here at the office (apart from system wav's). So I'll have to check that out tomorrow (unless anyone knows some place I can download one).

Rip a CD to a WAV and then burn the WAV file to a data CD and bring it in to test with.

Aug 27, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
I've recently tried playing some mp3s on my office computer. They all play sped up so they sound like the chipmonks. Anybody know if this can be cured? I'll admit it's an advantage to be able to listen to music in half the normal time, but in every other respect this really SUCKS!!

I had the same problem when I owned an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1. The only way I solved it was to get a different sound card.

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamnid
Maybe you have some driver installed with a "speed-up" filter installed ? Since you said you copied them to your office computer, I'm assume those mp3s will play fine at home?

Yes, they play fine at home. In fact, I've ripped CD's on my office computer to mp3s and they play fine at home and on my Karma. So this seems only to be a playback thing.

Mr. Radar,

Yes, I actually plan to bring a cd in to the office since, as I mentioned above, I've been able to rip them there and play them back at home. I can encode Ogg Vorbis and Flac using Rio Music Manager (I think) which is installed there.

Based on the various comments from others with similar problems, maybe it's a soundcard problem. I avoided changing any soundcard settings since I don't really know what I'm doing, but maybe I'll monkey with that once I've tested some other codecs.

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 14
I had the same problem with the office computer that I was using at my last job. I tried everything that I could think of to remedy the problem. In the end I simply hunted down the audio driver and reinstalled it. This remedied the problem. Apparently the driver that had been installed was the wrong one.

Grigorios

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 14
this is a problem related to the Intel sound manager software running in the background. It has a setting for karaoke speeds. It seems to be turned on, making the mp3s sound like chipmunks. Disable it.

Aug 27, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by amol
this is a problem related to the Intel sound manager software running in the background. It has a setting for karaoke speeds. It seems to be turned on, making the mp3s sound like chipmunks. Disable it.

How? How do I get access to "Intel sound manager"

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 14
Look in the task bar of the PC, there must be some soundcard controlling software running the background. If you are running windows xp, press ctrl + alt + del and bring the task manager to the front, and you will get to know which programs are currently running in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back