All in One
Mar 9, 2019 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

deuter

1000+ Head-Fier
This might be a bit of a stretch but I will ask anyway.
Through your travels have you come across any all in one, and I mean a true all in one balanced headphone amp, dac, wireless streamer that is capable to hold its own against top tier dedicated headphone amps and power hungry headphones like HifiMan and Abyss.

Keen to know whether these exist and what the general consensus is about such products.
I for one wouldn't mind a one box does it all and save some money too!

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 6
What specifically made you want an all in one? I would go on a limb that an all in one unit like that will compromise itself in some way or another. I could be wrong though.

A pretty close one but has to be 2 units would be the Mytek DAC/Streamer and the HPA4 AMP from Benchmark. I am a fan of Benchmark, not so much of Mytek but they do package their stuff together into decent integrated units.

I would urge you to consider having 2 units to do all the above you listed as opposed to a single unit because your requirement includes powering some of the power hungry headphones on the market, to find an integrated to do all that is very very hard and once again likely giving up something in some way shape or form.

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 6
If you add in the wireless streamer option, there's practically nothing left. But regarding the rest, the one's I've heard:

- DCS Bartok Fantastic DAC, well worth the sticker price as a DAC alone, but weak headphone out isn't good for anything beyond the Utopia and Ether's.
- Chord Dave See above. The difference is mostly in DCS vs. Chord house sound. I would go for the Bartok but YMMV.
- Hugo TT2 Great DAC, more powerful headphone out than the Bartok, but still not something I would use for the Abyss Phi or the Susvara
- Simaudio Ace I like this one a lot more when you use the dedicated amp outs. The speaker taps are more than capable of driving the Abyss. Worth it as an amp, but DAC part is relatively weak
- Hegel Rost I am actually not sure if the headphone out on this goes through the same circuitry as the taps. Taps are pretty good with the Abyss. More balanced amp/dac sections than the Ace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back