All Amps Sound The Same, and a Solid State Amp Can Be Made to Sound Exactly Like a Tube Amp
Jan 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #16 of 19

Why are you so down on Bob Carver?

I'm not down on him at all.

The Carver Amazing Loudspeaker is one of the most interesting loudspeakers I've ever heard.

But as a circuit designer, he's not a giant like Saul Marantz or David Hafler.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #17 of 19
His CRM-2 speakers still remain in my memory as one of the best experiences I have ever had in audio. I didn't buy them at the time, and instead went with Ohm Walsh speakers, which are omni-directional.

If you like his take on ribbon speakers, you should check out the Amazing Loudspeaker.  Discontinued long ago, but you can still find builds, restorations, and some on eBay.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 19
His CRM-2 speakers still remain in my memory as one of the best experiences I have ever had in audio. I didn't buy them at the time, and instead went with Ohm Walsh speakers, which are omni-directional.

If you like his take on ribbon speakers, you should check out the Amazing Loudspeaker.  Discontinued long ago, but you can still find builds, restorations, and some on eBay.

Oh, I've heard the Amazing. And, he just released a new version I think, a line array.

He's a polarizing figure, but one I respect.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 19
Thanks for the link, will give it a view when I have some time.

I have had a pair of TFM-42 amps since the late 80s and picked up a pair of the Amazing Silver loudspeakers a few years later. Still going strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back