Albums with really bad sound quality.
Oct 4, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Kinda sucks when you have to listen to a freakin' jazz cd to enjoy a good pair of cans.

different strokes for different folks, I guess. Gotta LOVE Brubeck's Time Out. . .

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #17 of 28
Limp Bizkit's Significant Other sounds pretty aweful. Don't ask me why i bought it though, it was long ago, and i don't know what the hell i was thinking
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #18 of 28
Was just listening to some Dave Matthews and was struck by how poorly the CD "Crash" sounded. Not in the sense that it clips or is blury, but just how lifeless and lacking in dynamics this CD is. I used to love this CD before I got into headphones, but now it made me yawn. I guess it was all the DSP and bass boosting effects in AIWA boombox that made it bearable.

Afterwards, I put in "Under the Table and Dreaming" and was amazed by how much better it sounded. Strange how technology "improves" audio quality sometimes.
rolleyes.gif

Zin

ps. I'd never noticed that was John Popper playing harmonic on What Would you Say. But after a listen on headphones I was sure of it and found it to be true in the back of the CD booklet. Gotta love headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #19 of 28
Short Bus, by Filter. 35 minutes of compression and clipping.

Metallica's Load is pretty damned compromised for radio play as well from a sonic standpoint.

And how can I forget The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Out in L.A. Vinyl surface noise on many tracks so bad it overpowers the music - and I'm talking in reference to the cd!!!

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
different strokes for different folks, I guess. Gotta LOVE Brubeck's Time Out. . .

Yes, Jazz is awesome for just about any occasion. I'm holding off on buying much of anything because I know when I buy it on redbook it will be released on SACD the next day.

Oh yeah, bad cds...

The entire Cowboy Bebop soundtrack set. The entire thing sounds like a 128kbps mp3. I'm glad I got a chance to listen to it or else I would have been very angry to pay $40 and get that...

The original Rolling Stones cds, I didn't know just how bad they were until I heard the SACD remasters.

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 28
The Replacements, Tim

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Was just listening to some Dave Matthews and was struck by how poorly the CD "Crash" sounded. Not in the sense that it clips or is blury, but just how lifeless and lacking in dynamics this CD is. I used to love this CD before I got into headphones, but now it made me yawn. I guess it was all the DSP and bass boosting effects in AIWA boombox that made it bearable.

Agreed. I just hate this album, and I was a tremendous DMB fan before this disc came out. Listen to their previous albums and the "Recently" EP, and you get the sense of just how much better they can sound--"Crash" sounds smoother , but with DMB I don't want studio-slick smooth, I want explosive, near-live music.

Imagine if Black Francis said to the rest of the Pixies, "I'm tired of the crazy guitars and wacked out vocals like I'm on amphetamines. For our next album we'll use more polite sounding guitars and I'll smooth out my singing so we sound more like U2." That's what "Crash" sounds like to me.

Sorry for the rant.

Nov 14, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Has anyone ever bought a cd only to learn that the sound quality was so bad that it pains you to listen to it through headphones? One of mine would be Rainbow Rising by guitar got Ritchie Blackmore. A very tinny sounding CD. The drums seemed like they were recorded down the hall instead of in the studio.

Just got caught up in reading some threads. I also just finished reading a book called "Rainbow Rising: The Story of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow". It was a fairly interesting book.

In the chapter on the Rising album, the author commented that the drums were set up in a hall and not in the studio. Apparently someone (can't recall who) wanted the drums to have a little more echo and they thought that this would be a good way to do it. I cannot imagine the noise that Cozy made in the hallway bashing his way through Stargazer or A Light In The Black.

Great observation Matthew. Do you have the recently remastered version? I think that they made the Rising album sound much better than the original cd issue.

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #24 of 28
While I have several, the one that bothers me the worst is PILGRIM by Eric Clapton. The treble is so jacked up cymbals sound like an egg frying. He doesnt sound so much like he is singing, but spitting. To make matters even worse the bass is pumped up too. PILGRIM is a the blueprint for poor pop recording.

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 28
Velvet underground Loaded is one of the best CDs ever, but the original recording is pretty bad. 2 days after I bought it I noticed the remastered with extra tracks, which I am sure makes up for it.

Nov 21, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 28
My votes for some fairly recent stuff, from the top of my head.

Tool - Lateralus (such a let down from ænima's sound quality)
Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head (hooray for no dynamic range)

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #28 of 28
WORST EVER: Guns N Roses, Live 87-93 (i think that's the name) absolutely unlistenable..

Early Pink Floyd.

The best live recordings I own are Counting Crows - VH1 Storytellers, Nirvana - Unplugged in New York, and Metallica - S&M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back