Alarms and other irritating noises
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Scubadevils

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a serious issue with noises like house alarms etc going off (this being from nearby houses, even if sufficienly distant for my ears to find the noise)... my wife and kids say just ignore it and doesn't bother them, likewise when we have visitors and an alarm going off nearby - or indeed drilling, dog barking constantly etc.. technically house alarm bells should only ring for 20 minutes but older systems go on longer. I get extremely agitated and almost focus on the annoying noise as opposed to ignore as people suggest (which annoys me even more!).

Between friends and family, I've yet to find anyone who gets as stressed as I do! When possible, I throw on NC headphones but not always an option.

Anyway, anyone else suffer with this or am I weird as per my family comments?! I was reminded of this issue as an alarm kicked off a few mins ago, thankfully stopped and some level or order returned in my brain 🧠

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 8
I agree with smoke alarms. Highly irritating but important to have. I also can’t stand when people have multiple chihuahua dogs in the house, their high pitched barking noises are unbearable.

On rare occasions I can’t stand when little kids scream in public and the high pitched shrill feels like it’s gonna give me ear damage.

The good news is that these for me are minor knit picks since they are rare occurrences.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes screaming kids will do it for me too!

On the alarms, its actually intruder alarms with outdoor bells - I think banned in some countries but we still have them. They tend to be sensitive and even gusts of wind trigger them, if people not home, I'm faced with the stress for anything from 20 mins to 1 hour plus! Made worse as working from home since March.

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 8
Personally I can’t stand it when guys modify their cars to sound extremely loud with that roaring engine noise.

The same thing with motorcycles too with ear splitting volumes in quiet city residential streets. Really obnoxious and kind of makes me hate the male gender at times.

Fortunately, it’s very rare so I am not complaining.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Well I found out that I wasn’t the only one annoyed by loud motorcycle noise. I found out on the internet that many other people don’t like loud motorcycle noises too….especially when it rattles your house window.

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 8
The older I get I am really starting to hate motorcycles that are way too loud. Its like my house is next to a dragstrip or something. And they don't get tickets for it either? If my car was that damn loud I would get pulled over I am sure.

As for being irritated by noises, oh yes. I suffer from anxiety issues. All kinds of noises do me in. My phone ringing will send me into a panic attack. Or if someone honks their horn in traffic. Lots of people talking in a room will do it too. I'm not a huge fan of wind chimes either.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 8
I have small gecko which infiltrate my living quarters. They often spout out in the middle of the night.......about ten peeps all in a row..........a duration enough to wake you. Though legend has it that they are good luck? That’s what they say, anyways?

A couple of times (about 4 times) I’ve heard a woman singing (beautifully) and don’t know where it’s coming from. It sounds like it’s actually downstairs? That really freaks my wife out, when I tell her! I have just accepted it as part of the house. There is a dog next door that barks around 9 o’clock to tell his owners to let him off the leash for the night.

But really it’s a mental thing. Meaning if I know it’s 9 o’clock and the dog starts barking often I am able to block it out. Being careful to understand that it will be over as soon as the owners come and unleash the dog! Often the TV is on and I barely notice.

But I also have nieces and nephews who come by and are loud. Though that’s what comes with kids. So what are you going to do? You have to adapt your attitude! Attitude is everything! Meaning you tell yourself that it’s just part of life to hear all this yelling and screaming........I mean it only goes on for a few years, then they become quite intellectually based threats. Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back