AKG612 vs AKG712 - Gaming
Jan 20, 2015 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rebelx

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I read the Gaming guide and the 712 Pro seemed to be the best out of the bunch, but it's just slightly above my comfort budget range for purchase ($250 is my soft limit, and $300 is my hard limit).

I've also been looking at the 612 Pro, but I'm not sure how much I'd be "giving up" by picking this option.

I would primarily use this pair hooked up to a PC, and occasionally, a PS4 (what to do about mic on the ps4??). I have an Asus Xonar DG sound card, which I believe can drive up to 150 ohms (according to Amazon, it says "High Fidelity Headphone Amplifier: Optimized for 32~150Ω; Analog Playback Sample Rate"--> but notice the weird symbols after 150...not sure if that is supposed to be the ohms symbol or not). 

The 612 is 120 ohms and 712 is much lower at 62 ohms for impedance. 

I prefer open back, as my current headset is the Bose QC15 and that's closed. 

I play primarily MOBAs like DOTA 2 and occasionally a shooter. 

I really like the fact that the 712 has a detachable cable since I've very nearly destroyed my Bose set on several occasions and was saved only because of the detachable cable feature. What happens if the cable frays or is pulled out of it's connector point on either end and get damaged? How does one replace that? 

Not a bass head, but would like good accurate sound. 

What would you recommend in this case between these two headphones (mic for PC is not needed as I have a separate USB mic)?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 3
I can't speak for the 612 but the 712 are a remarkable set of cans. Well worth the money. I will say this, if you have a small head they may be a bit loose for you. Had to return mine as there was not enough clamping pressure to accommodate my small noggin. No fault of the headphones. Great cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back