AKG1000 in a Car???
Jul 26, 2004 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

intlplby

500+ Head-Fier
assuming you can clean up the power from the the car lighter 12v power source, is there an amp that can effectively power an AKG 1000?

the akg 1000 is high impedance which means it needs high voltage
..... does this render the 12 volt system of a car useless or is there enough current to step it up and still use it?

Jul 26, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
assuming you can clean up the power from the the car lighter 12v power source, is there an amp that can effectively power an AKG 1000?

the akg 1000 is high impedance which means it needs high voltage
..... does this render the 12 volt system of a car useless or is there enough current to step it up and still use it?

I don't know about your power issue, but don't you think it would be too noisy in the car to listen to these wonderful headphones? Unless of course your tooling around in one of these
wink.gif

http://www.bellevue.mercedescenter.c...questid=760361

I love the AKG K-1000's, but the noise from my SUV would do them in. Good luck, let us know how it works for you.

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 14
I have used an integrated receiver in the past with one of those 12v power strip things hooked to a deep cycle battery. Maybe a Marantz in this setup would sound good in your car. I wouldn't run something like that straight off the alternator though (IE buying one of those things and plugging it straight into your cig lighter). Instead you'd need another battery run deep cycle. Don't attempt this unless you really know what you're doing. As far as I know there's no portable amp that will power the K1000.

Jul 26, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 14
I *believe* that it is illegal to wear headphones while driving, personally I think it is more dangerous to use a mobile phone while driving and in the UK that will get you an instant fine.

Jul 26, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 14
the reason i want to try the akgs is because they are away from my ears..... so it is arguably legal

they aren't headphones, but head speakers....

i know you are allowed to have a headphone on one but not both ears..... i.e. why people can use handless cellphone solutions

i figure if i ever get pulled i just slip one ear cup forward off my head.......

they can't argue that i had both on .... innocent until proven guilty

personally i currently use grados in the car and my car is open (completely) i have a old landcruiser with no top

i can hear everything around me .... it sounds almost as if i had a regular speaker system playing and doesnt block outside sounds.......

because my car is open i cant install any system in it..... since it would require a completely waterproof amp, speakers and head unit and would still be subpar on quality.

with headphones if it starts raining i just need to pull over and pack it in my waterproof carry case

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 14
don't underestimate the lack of patience from a cop if you get pulled over and try the old "prove it" ploy. He is likely to just say that you had both ears covered and he then observed you re-adjust them. And as getting any kind of high end sound from a Land Rover with no top, fuggedabouddit!!! Nice idea though.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 14
you sure you wanna do this? pretty interesting...
I have no guts to do it (well I don't have AKG 1000 anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 27, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 14
Sometimes I'm using Stax Lambdas powered by a car battery, but I must admit that using K1000s is..., hmmm, what's the superlative of "far out"?
Jecklin Floats someone?
However, nice idea, I have k1000s anyway.

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 14
The microzotl, in my experience did not have enough power to drive the K1Ks above "background" volume levels. Certainly not enough for a topless car. But is will drive Senns just fine AND can run from a battery pretty easily. Maybe this is what you are looking for?
blink.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 14
Any car amp will do the job. They have built in voltage converters, so the requisite output will be available to fry the K1000 if you get a large enough amp.

If you are thinking about doing this while driving, give up now. The nonlinear noise generated by a car going down the road will mask any semblance of fidelity. If you are like most people, you will turn up the volume until you perceive the entire spectrum, at which point either the Ks or your ears will be beyond redline.

Legality is a local issue. Headphones are not illegal where I live, but they might attract attention. Etys don't seem to, though. I haven't tried yet, but something like the Bose QC seems like a good compromise. Eliminating road noise and replacing it with music seems like a good trade to me. HOWEVER, if you are involved in an accident while wearing anything in or over your ears, the attourneys will have a much easier time convincing the average jury that you were behaving in a reckless manner.

gerG

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Being in such a situation, I rather use the car's stereo. It's already noisy outside and defeats the purpose of the K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back