AKG Q/K7xyz... Inexpensive solid state, hybrid or OTL? Which do YOU use and/or prefer, and why?
Jan 1, 2015 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Oktyabr

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all.

I'm not really looking for recommendations, really more like a consensus of what experienced head-fi'ers prefer for these cans.  I've read in many different threads that the high current/low sensitivity of the AKG "7" series really make most OTL a poor choice and a really good SS amp is what fits these best.  Other posts, mostly semi-critical of a perceived brightness in the upper end, say a tube will provide the warmth these need to really make them blossom.

I am going to purchase a new amp.  I used to own a pair of K701, now own K712 and will likely find either a pair of K7XX (out of sheer curiosity) and/or possibly a pair of K702 in my near future as well.  I already own a Creek OBH-11 with an improved power supply so while I know this amp hasn't been overwhelmingly popular it does seem I might have the SS base covered, at least for the time being.  Thus I'm interested in the possibilities of a tube amp, either hybrid or OTL, with these cans...  or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back