AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #286 of 296
While awaiting the new cable, have been listening to the K812 [with Oratory 1990 EQ, SMSL D400EX DAC and Hagerman Audio Labs Tuba amplifier]. I am appreciating the tonal, dynamic and rhythmic balance of these headphones, as well as their ample and well apportioned spatial presentation.

[Definitely more enjoyable "this time around".]

Am looking forward to hearing what the Arctic Cables "Desire" brings to the listening experience.
By any chance, have you tried the heddphone 2? I wondering how it sounds compared with the K812.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #290 of 296
Awesome! Can you write us a small comparison between them?
Am running both sets with the Hagerman tube/hybrid which may not be optimal in either case [K812: 36ohms/110dB, HEDDphone: 42ohms/87dB].

VERY Preliminarily:

HEDD HEDDphone One [Oratory 1990]: faster, wider soundstage, a smoother, denser and a bit sweeter tonality, a bit more articulate deep bass

AKG K812 [Oratory 1990 EQ]: more comfortable, more open and coherent sounding, more fully and finely resolving

Caveat 1: K812 fitted with stock cable; HEDDphone fitted with NeoTech UPOCC cable
Caveat 2: Amplifier probably less optimal for the [less sensitive] HEDDphone.

Plan to reassume comparison(s) with the [ss] Violectric V222, Deo volente.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #291 of 296
Anyone in south London with the k812? I would love to hear them. Do they have more bass then 702 model? Thanks
[From W-A-A-Y wsw of South London]
Have the K812 and K702|65 Anniversary on hand. Will try to do a quick a/b later and report back.
From cursory recall, the K812 have greater bass extension and sub bass articulation. In terms of absolute proportion of overall bass presence, I would have to do the a/b.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #292 of 296
The HEDDphone One sound a bit more relaxed, resolute and coherent with the Violectric V222 versus the Hagerman Tuba. Tonality is more open and bass is more evenly distributed with better weight/texture.

The K812 still exhibit greater openness and resolution, a better overall balance/coherency and a better sense of 3-dimensionality.

Quick Summary:

(1) I prefer the AKG K812 with the Hagerman Tuba by the widest margin.
(2) I prefer the AKG K812 with the Violectric V222 [running balanced inputs] by a narrower margin.
(3) I prefer the AKG K812 with the Violectric V222 [running single-ended inputs] by the narrowest margin.

With the associated gear, my preferences lean toward the neutrality, openness, coherency, resolution, comfort and overall balance of the AKG K812.

More extensive a/b-ing may be warranted, however . . . and the HEDDphone One are a great set of headphones that will no doubt endure. post-comparison(s) . . .

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #293 of 296
Have the K812 and K702|65 Anniversary on hand. Will try to do a quick a/b later and report back.
From cursory recall, the K812 have greater bass extension and sub bass articulation. In terms of absolute proportion of overall bass presence, I would have to do the a/b.
No worries. Are you coming to CanJam London this summer?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #295 of 296
It´s quite unusual to see somebody with the 65th anniversaries. I currently own a K872, 65th anniversary and K240DF LP.

When I got the k872, it completly made the 65th annis obsolete, early this year I tried the yaxi pads on them and a little bit of EQ and they came alive again, they are very competent for todays standards with those pads.
I do prefer the K240DFs with yaxi pads over the 65th annies with stock pads and yaxi pads. Those K240DFs with yaxi pads and EQ on 7k and 10k bands really make them something special.
On the other hand I really enjoy my K872 but not all the time I want to wear closed-backs. I´m trying to decide if move to the K812 or heddphone 2 (The Composer has lost my interest based on the big chunk of dampening , the atrocious price and other factors).

Please let us know if you have the chance to try the Heddphone 2.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back