AKG K702's Sound Awful with Little Dot MKII?!
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

imsjry

Head-Fier
Hi there! I'm perplexed and looking for some help. A long time happy owner of the Little Dot MKII and 6xx and Focal Clear headphones. The amp is set to High Gain (300 Ohm) and I've never had any issue with either of the two headphones. Just to hear a different sound signature, I purchased the AKG K702's and got them today.

With the volume barely above 4 on the Little Dot (normal listening level), anything I play with the K702's sounds completely distorted. If I swap back to the 6xx or the Focals, everything is beautiful. Why would this be? I even set the amp to Low Gain and that actually made it worse.

The K702's powered from my iPhone or my two integrated receivers sound great at any volume so I really don't understand what's up. I can't imagine the Little Dot is THAT underpowered to drive these things on High Gain, right?!

Help Please!

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Best guess, the 62-Ohm (low impedance) AKG K702 does not work well with amplifiers with a high output impedance (tube).

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Best guess, the 62-Ohm (low impedance) AKG K702 does not work well with amplifiers with a high output impedance (tube).
Thank you. I thought the same but I’m seeing posts from people happily using the Little Dot’s with their 702s. I’m at a loss because it’s not even a slight distortion. The entire soundstage goes underwater! I’m really baffled.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi there! I'm perplexed and looking for some help. A long time happy owner of the Little Dot MKII and 6xx and Focal Clear headphones. The amp is set to High Gain (300 Ohm) and I've never had any issue with either of the two headphones. Just to hear a different sound signature, I purchased the AKG K702's and got them today.

With the volume barely above 4 on the Little Dot (normal listening level), anything I play with the K702's sounds completely distorted. If I swap back to the 6xx or the Focals, everything is beautiful. Why would this be? I even set the amp to Low Gain and that actually made it worse.

The K702's powered from my iPhone or my two integrated receivers sound great at any volume so I really don't understand what's up. I can't imagine the Little Dot is THAT underpowered to drive these things on High Gain, right?!

Help Please!
Have you tried setting the Little Dot MKII to low gain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back