AKG K702 Build your own cable...
Feb 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #122 of 128
Well I didnt intensively search for it. Just so happen the swiftcraft mini-XLR supplier carries Canare :p But Gotham is recommended by a friend of mine. Good recommendation he gave.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #123 of 128

I decided to follow OneSec's recommendation, went Gotham's route and after receiving all needed parts couple of days ago I've finished this cable today. I am a bit skeptical about cables changing the sound of HP, so it is gonna be quite interesting for me. Can't wait to give it a listen at home today evening.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #124 of 128

I decided to follow OneSec's recommendation, went Gotham's route and after receiving all needed parts couple of days ago I've finished this cable today. I am a bit skeptical about cables changing the sound of HP, so it is gonna be quite interesting for me. Can't wait to give it a listen at home today evening.

Beautiful cable there. Do post back with some impressions.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #125 of 128
Beautiful cable there. Do post back with some impressions.

Well, I did some listening tests yesterday evening. The DIY Gotham cable is brand new (no burn-in yet) and if I should describe my impressions when I've first put my cans with this new cable on my head I'd second most of your finidngs:

* Overall the sound becomes more 'solid', more projectile, and more weighty. - Exactly what I've witnessed.

* BASS impact has been become more prominent. Faster attack and umph! Bass has definitely improved in every way, quality and quantity. - I was really surprised how prominent bass impact became. 

* The cable somewhat makes the phone more musical - its very difficult to describe. - Exactly what I've witnessed. It was like adding some grains of HD650 sound to K702.

* However things are rather different on the treble - it got a little recessed. - This is also true, maybe it will get improved by time after proper burn-in.

After spending a few years with the stock cable I am not sure if I really like the "new heavier sound" of my K702s. The cable surely needs more hours to get properly burned-in and I maybe need to get used to it as the change in sound was much bigger than I've expected from very cheap and affordable cable like this. When I've put the stock cable back the sound have returned to lighter and airy presentation which I am used to ... I know habit is a second nature. :wink:

But one thing is for sure, there is something about these cables. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #126 of 128

Well, I did some listening tests yesterday evening. The DIY Gotham cable is brand new (no burn-in yet) and if I should describe my impressions when I've first put my cans with this new cable on my head I'd second most of your finidngs:

* Overall the sound becomes more 'solid', more projectile, and more weighty. - Exactly what I've witnessed.

* BASS impact has been become more prominent. Faster attack and umph! Bass has definitely improved in every way, quality and quantity. - I was really surprised how prominent bass impact became. 

* The cable somewhat makes the phone more musical - its very difficult to describe. - Exactly what I've witnessed. It was like adding some grains of HD650 sound to K702.

* However things are rather different on the treble - it got a little recessed. - This is also true, maybe it will get improved by time after proper burn-in.

After spending a few years with the stock cable I am not sure if I really like the "new heavier sound" of my K702s. The cable surely needs more hours to get properly burned-in and I maybe need to get used to it as the change in sound was much bigger than I've expected from very cheap and affordable cable like this. When I've put the stock cable back the sound have returned to lighter and airy presentation which I am used to ... I know habit is a second nature. :wink:

But one thing is for sure, there is something about these cables. 

Looks like you are a more treble head than me!! Some people claims a silver cable adds treble and possibly "enhance" harshness to detail :p (well its a good thing for both of us, but probably not for everyone's taste). Problem is I have yet to find any DIY silver cable within budget. They so expensive to make, the cost is beyond the phone itself. :frowning2:

My experience tells me burn in don't normally change the treble much, but more on the lower spectrum. Hope is still there though, if the treble gets clearer (maybe reduced delay on bass), the higher frequent may come back a little.

Listen to the new cable more, and it will become your "new" habit :) Did you observe any difference on detail extraction ABing between the stock cable?

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #127 of 128
I'm going to attempt one of these cables for my Q701s. I'm ordering everything from Redco and for the mini-XLR they give you a choice of boot opening, either 0.115 or .17. Any recommendation on boot opening size? I'm going to be using the Mogami W2534 cable.

Thanks for making this thread, BTW. It's really useful!

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #128 of 128
Guys, I really can't DYI.
Could someone tell me if this AliExpress one is decent enough or just snake oil:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1-5m-5ft-L-type-plug-6core-4N-OCC-Silver-plated-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-for/900546_2038486076.html at $55?
Because it looks too promising...6core-4N-OCC-Silver-plated...

My two other options are:

Furutech cable "ADL iHP-35XII"

and Nocturnal Audio Hydra V2 with mini XLR and 3.5mm termination:
http://store.treoo.com/nocturnal-audio-hydra-v2-4-conductor-silver-copper-hybrid-custom-cable.html#

Users who are viewing this thread

Back