AKG K701 amps
Jun 1, 2008 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

White Tiger

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a DAC and an amplifier for my K701. I'm thinking about buying Russ Andrews DAC-1. It's quite expensive though. If you have recommendations for DACs that match DAC-1 but are less expensive, let me know.

I still don't know which amp to buy though. I've had the impression that tube amps are great with 701. Is this true?

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Tube amps serve the K701 well, IMHE. I've had excellent success with the Darkvoice 336i (~$300 USD) and NOS replacement tubes, ans even better success with the Bada PH-12 (~$500 USD) and NOS tubes.

BTW, I consider it an honor to be the one to answer your first Head-Fi post. Welcome aboard! : )

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 6
When you say DACs that match the DAC-1, have you heard it before? I'd suggest you take your cans to a local meet and try anything and everything possible. I'd hazard a guess you can find some VERY good sounds for much less than that DAC costs. eg one of the NOS dacs nicely modded and any half decent amp without too much colour. If you want to use a run of the mill upsampling DAC then yes, you may well need tubes to fill out the bottom end. But basically, just try out stuff. Words on paper or the screen don't mean much
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 6
I am very pleased with the Stello HP100/DA100 amp/dac combination for both my K701s and HD650s.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube amps serve the K701 well, IMHE. I've had excellent success with the Darkvoice 336i (~$300 USD) and NOS replacement tubes, ans even better success with the Bada PH-12 (~$500 USD) and NOS tubes.

BTW, I consider it an honor to be the one to answer your first Head-Fi post. Welcome aboard! : )

Thanks for the help. I decided to get the PH-12 now. I might be asking you about tube rolling in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Still wondering about DAC's. Here's my other thread about that:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/usb...7/#post4282223

Users who are viewing this thread

Back