AKG K401
Dec 11, 2001 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jorada

New Head-Fier
Run to Musiciansfriend.com for an incredible price on AKG K401's. $79.99 shipped! I've tried a number of cans and have not been satisfied with any of them for studio monitoring purposes. I've had Grado SR125's - too bright. AKG K240M's - too dull, dark and hard to drive. Sennheiser HD495's - distorted and mushy at anything over moderate volume, otherwise evenhanded if a bit grainy - nowhere near pro league level.
I'm a newbee here but I have been at a loss for a dependable sounding pair of phones for my home studio. I think I've found a great pair of cans at an even greater price.

John

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 14
A lot of us have been bowled over by the extremely "fell off the back of a truck in Brooklyn" price on the 401's and 501's. I really wanna buy the 501's but am worried about the "lack of bass." I have a JMT built Cmoy, with a gain of 6, and crossfeed. I wonder if this thing can drive it "ok" until i dip in for a Creek or something along those lines.

George

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 14
I hear that the CHA47 does a decent job driving the 501s too. See the Portaland get-together thread for more about this.

The comments were the SAC and the Max were better amps but the CHA47 really held it's own. I just wonder if JMT could cram one with sufficient power into a Red Penguin tin.

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 14
that should work alright, but it will be a less than perfect match.

the K501's are NOT bass-light! for some reason, people will listen to team sennheiser but not team AKG....
wink.gif

JOKING!!! actually, the K501s have a very non-existant bass, which is why I like them so much. I am a treble lover. When I get enough money, I plan to build a three-way speaker with all tweeters. tweeter for the low notes, super tweeter for the mids, and mega ultra uber tweeter for the highs. Because I hate bass. When I fart, I fart treble. My voice is like a chipmunk. I have replaced my alarm clock with a Britney Spears acapella. I always use EQ and turn the treble up to +11 and the bass down to -11. Treble treble treble! LALALALA! When I'm old enough, I plan on getting surgery done to my ears so they are tuned up an octave, so everything that I hear will be super high!

Treble fart!

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
that should work alright, but it will be a less than perfect match.

the K501's are NOT bass-light! for some reason, people will listen to team sennheiser but not team AKG....
wink.gif

LOL, sorry Neruda, I guess i just need that "push" to go for em, i'll probably order them during the week (time to do some research and read everything about them!).

George

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 14
wellll....there are better rock headphones out there, I'll admit that. *cough*BEYERDT250-80*cough*

(this coming from the person blasting is brains out listening to the crystal method WAY TOO LOUDLY on his K401's)

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 14
They arrived today from musicansfriend.com, but the wife took the box away so she can wrap it up for Christmas. Wouldn't let me open the box and look at the AKG box. Ugh! Can't wait to give them a listen along with my soon to arrive Creek OBH11SE.

Regards - reynman

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 14
Beh, when we say light on bass, we mean they dont respond as low as some other headphones...

These things are not bass light! I was just listening to Stabbing Wesward, followed by some Tool.. THEY ARE SO NOT BASS LIGHT. Talking about bass drums that ring the fillings out of your teeth...

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Beh, when we say light on bass, we mean they dont respond as low as some other headphones...

These things are not bass light! I was just listening to Stabbing Wesward, followed by some Tool.. THEY ARE SO NOT BASS LIGHT. Talking about bass drums that ring the fillings out of your teeth...

OH OK OK AlRIGHT...I'M $OLD. I think i will just have to order them this week (whip out the ol credit card). Ahhhh....i really need to find a job with one of these headphone companies!

George

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Yeah.. I was going with the topic. Unless you want to spring for the K501's. I've already forgot what they sound like, but I wasnt disappointed by the sound by no means. I don't really see myself upgrading to them though...

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
wellll....there are better rock headphones out there, I'll admit that. *cough*BEYERDT250-80*cough*

(this coming from the person blasting is brains out listening to the crystal method WAY TOO LOUDLY on his K401's)

How much better are the Beyer 250's compared to the 7506's? Just curious
biggrin.gif

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back