AKG K1000 + Headamp GS-X
Jun 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

analoggrotto

New Head-Fier
Not sure if the combined costs of this equipment warrants posting in this "Summit-Fi" section... But since K1000 discussion tends to concentrate itself here; this seems like the best move.

I wish to stay solid state, away from T-Amps, and purchase new. Gilmore amps seems to be more synergistic w/ Grados (as I last understood). Yet, how well does the GS-X power the (speaker-like) K1000 drivers? This is a serious consideration for me as I find the GS-X a good value (8 week wait is a bit scary) and do not want to upgrade beyond that (might need a new car, other such considerations).

The Firstwatt F1 (where do I buy this online?) is almost universally agreed as the best K1000 SS amp; price:performance - is the GS-X a good contender?

Thanks for your help.

a.g.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 7
8 weeks is a very very rough estimate - not to dissuade you from an amp that many people think very highly of, but headamp is not a company known for their punctuality (but are known for great workmanship).  If 8 weeks makes you feel uneasy, consider that it will most likely take twice as long. 

Is there a particular reason you dont want a t-amp?  I used a Charlize with my K1Ks, and found it beat out my Marantz PM11-S1 integrated! 

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 7
The GS-X setup would be a fast-track to fully balanced (Presonus Central Station as Source). I am avoiding the T-Amp route as to not get mixed up in the power resistor/impedance matching mess. Is the Red Wine T-amp based?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back