Airport Express up and running
Aug 13, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #93 of 98
This is not something legitimate to complain about. TI currently manufactures the finest DACs in the world. (Heck, they hired away most of the mixed-signal engineers from Cirrus/Crystal.) Wolfson targets mainly the consumer market. You won't find any high end CD/DVD players using Wolfson chips, though some mid-range players now do.

I'm sure the DAC in the Airport Express is not top of the line (it could not be for the price) nor is the power supply or analog section particularly sophisticated (there isn't the space for it), but the real question is just how does it sound.

Aug 13, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #94 of 98
My view is, for $130 you get an pocket sized 802.11g router/firewall with a USB print server that streams 'bit perfect' digital audio. How cool is that. Who cares what it sounds like in analog mode. How many people on this forum would spend "only" $130 on a DAC alone for critical listening.... Plug her into a real DAC and enjoy! I'm incredibly pleased with my AE despite it's imperfections (have to restart iTunes every now and then to get it to recognize it, 'would be nice' if I could use it for all sound card functionality instead of only streaming from iTunes - but I'm sure someone will come out with a driver to do this eventually).

Rob

Aug 13, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #95 of 98
There is a hack out that I believe allows you to stream music from sources other than itunes. I have been trying for the last day to get the program but no luck. Here is a link to the site nanocrew . This is from the same guy in the Netherlands that cracked that dvd code.

I think the AX is well worth the money. Attach it to a quality dac and it sounds great.

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #96 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I think the AX is well worth the money. Attach it to a quality dac and it sounds great.

I still can't decide on a DAC to use with the Airport Express. Does anyone know if the M-Audio SuperDAC is any good? I'm trying to keep it cheap but I guess if I go too cheap there may not be much of a sound difference.

Aug 14, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #97 of 98
I just discovered a problem with my AX. It will not power up. The light is off. When I plug it in the green light goes on for a second and then goes off. I've plugged it into other outlets with the same result. I guess it's time to call support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back