Airhead or Other Amp For Under $200?
Nov 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AnalogJ

100+ Head-Fier
In a previous thread, I posted the query of budgeting amp vs. headphones, given a certain budget.

I now would appreciate more of what I am likely to get for my dollar for amps, given that I have no experience with them. I am fairly particular with regard to musical qualities. I can appreciate the balance and musicality of a cheap headphone like the Koss PortaPro Jr., acknowledging its limited resolution. It is, however, the least expensive headphone I have heard that strikes the right musical balance of compromises.

In any event, for argument's sake, let's say I end up purchasing a pair of Grado SR225i headphones. I will need an amp to use with my Unison Research modded Unico integrated, which has no headphone amp within it. For sources, I have a VPI Scout with lots of trimmings, and an original Rega Planet (very nice player for its time). I also use my system for home theater. I would go with a solid state portable amp for a couple of reasons. The portability would allow me to use it with any portable player I have. Solid-state, because I rarely will plan a listening session on headphones in advance to allow for proper warm-up of tubes. I do have tubed equipment and it takes an hour of warm-up to sound great. Really, my headphone listening occurs more sporadically than on a regular basis, so I'm looking for a setup with good musical values, but not necessarily the best in absolute terms.

In this forum, I have heard positive things about many portable amps, including the Airhead (at $99) as well as others. IBasso wrote me and recommended the P3+ ($199) for the SR-225i (Is the P3+ overkill?). The Airhead will require me to purchase all the adapters (e.g., AC, 1/4" to miniplug, RCA Y-adapter). It looks like the IBasso includes at least the AC adapter if not other connectors, so it may not be exactly twice the price. I do like the fact that the Airhead is US made.

I know I'm not going to spend more than $200 on amplification. I would prefer keeping it down to the Airhead level, but I don't want to be penny wise, pound foolish either. I'm also not much of a DIYer.

Am I going to get significantly better than the Airhead keeping things under $200? I know that there are more compact alternatives, but sound quality is more important than how compact it is, though portability is, again, desirable. The latter is just not the main criterium.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back