AIFF/ALAC/FLAC/WAV????
Oct 9, 2015 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Joeybgood

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm seeking out higher quality music files to upgrade my music library.(generally 24/192)  All the HighRes sites offer those 4 formats for 24/192 for their DLs. So which of these is considered the best(or the worst) or does it not truly matter as they are all 24/192?(or is it a matter of compatibility with one's system? Help an ignorant brother out here!
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 9
FLAC for general purpose, this format have higher compatibility around devices, but if your devices are apple's family, then ALAC will suitable most. AIFF and WAV is uncompressed format, but I found these format to be 'space' hunger, meanwhile the same sound quality you can get at FLAC/ALAC format with less size.

For your reference:
http://www.hdtracks.com/faq#2

Q: What is an AIFF, an ALAC, a FLAC, and a WAV file? Which one should I choose? 
A: AIFF is a studio-quality digital-audio format. It is an uncompressed studio-quality file that is compatible with several players, including iTunes. 

Wav is also an uncompressed studio-quality file, compatible with different players like Windows Media Player and Winamp. 

ALAC and FLAC are studio-quality lossless digital-audio format. This means that they does not lose data like other types of compressed audio files. Lossless compression still retains low-level resolution of a standard CD. The advantage of ALAC and FLAC is that it takes up less room on your computer than an AIFF or WAV. Additionally, FLAC will play gapless audio, an advantage for albums and playlists which feature segueing between tracks. Several players are compatible with FLAC, including Winamp, Media Monkey and Songbird. ALAC is compatible with iTunes, Amarra, and other players, and is the recommended lossless format for iTunes. 

Cheers,
Ex.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 9
There is no reason for wav. If you use itunes, alac is the the way to go if you don't want hassle. Otherwise I would chose FLAC, which soundwise is equivalent to others, but it is more widely accepted.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 9
  FLAC for general purpose, this format have higher compatibility around devices, but if your devices are apple's family, then ALAC will suitable most. AIFF and WAV is uncompressed format, but I found these format to be 'space' hunger, meanwhile the same sound quality you can get at FLAC/ALAC format with less size.

For your reference:
http://www.hdtracks.com/faq#2

Cheers,
Ex.

So despite being uncompressed, there is no difference in SQ between the AIFF, WAV and the lossless, compressed FLAC and ALAC? Or is it just so negligible that despite the quality of one's system you would not be able to detect any difference in SQ? Thanks for educating me on this matter
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 9
  So despite being uncompressed, there is no difference in SQ between the AIFF, WAV and the lossless, compressed FLAC and ALAC? Or is it just so negligible that despite the quality of one's system you would not be able to detect any difference in SQ? Thanks for educating me on this matter
confused_face(1).gif

Hi Joey, it can be pictured like this: say that WAV (windows uncompressed format) and AIFF (apple uncompressed format) had 100.00 scale on SQ and 100.00 scale on space needed, whereas FLAC and ALAC ripped with 0 option for compression (least compression) will have 99.50 scale on SQ and 60.00 scale on space needed from the uncompressed one.

So if you want the very best and have huge space, it's still WAV or AIFF that hit 100% mark, but that 0.50% loss in SQ in FLAC and ALAC format can be 'diminished' by our ears and you got 40% more space. Note that in a very high quality sound system, that 0.50% loss might be heard if you hear it analitically but if you just enjoy the music, I think it's negligible.

The other way to choose is simply by "hearing is believing", try to have a perfect WAV files, and then make another copy which is the compressed one (you can choose FLAC or ALAC), and please choose 0 for compression level while ripping the WAV files, and then you can just compare between those tracks which one suits best with your ear, choose it.

In audio world, the technicality is just that on paper, while what you really hear is what matters most.

Cheers,
Ex.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 9
  Hi Joey, it can be pictured like this: say that WAV (windows uncompressed format) and AIFF (apple uncompressed format) had 100.00 scale on SQ and 100.00 scale on space needed, whereas FLAC and ALAC ripped with 0 option for compression (least compression) will have 99.50 scale on SQ and 60.00 scale on space needed from the uncompressed one.

So if you want the very best and have huge space, it's still WAV or AIFF that hit 100% mark, but that 0.50% loss in SQ in FLAC and ALAC format can be 'diminished' by our ears and you got 40% more space. Note that in a very high quality sound system, that 0.50% loss might be heard if you hear it analitically but if you just enjoy the music, I think it's negligible.

The other way to choose is simply by "hearing is believing", try to have a perfect WAV files, and then make another copy which is the compressed one (you can choose FLAC or ALAC), and please choose 0 for compression level while ripping the WAV files, and then you can just compare between those tracks which one suits best with your ear, choose it.

In audio world, the technicality is just that on paper, while what you really hear is what matters most.

Cheers,
Ex.

beautifully understandable analogy. Thanks! Cheers Joey

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 9

Cheers,
Ex.

One last question and , again , excuse my ignorance but can AIFF and ALAC files only be played back on Apple systems and WAV and FLAC on Windows?

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 9
Wav and FLAC files are not specific to Windows, they are fairly universal file types. The Apple ones are, obviously, a little more specific, however you can certainly find programs to play them on any operating system. As far as portable players, I honestly don't know what supports ALAC or AIFF, but many brands support FLAC.

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 9
  One last question and , again , excuse my ignorance but can AIFF and ALAC files only be played back on Apple systems and WAV and FLAC on Windows?

WAV - Waveform Audio File Format (WAVE, or more commonly known as WAV due to its filename extension), is a Microsoft and IBM audio file format standard for storing an audio bitstream on PCs.
AIFF - Audio Interchange File Format, is an audio file format standard used for storing sound data for personal computers and other electronic audio devices. The format was developed by Apple Inc.

ALAC - Apple Lossless Audio Codec, is an audio coding format, and its reference audio codec implementation, developed by Apple Inc.
FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec, is an audio coding format for lossless compression of digital audio. FLAC is an open format with royalty-free licensing and a reference implementation which is free software.

Basically, there is no "only can be played", those 4 format audio codec can be played between Windows or Apple or other devices interchangeably but you most likely need additional effort to search for tools or other conversion or interface software if you want to play a format in an environment it is not supposedly to be played, especially on those 'elite-inclusively' Apple devices (platform).

Playing WAV or FLAC on Windows based platform, playing AIFF or ALAC on Apple based platform is the default (common) usage so no additional effort needed, because it is already played on a platform it supposed to be played.

And because FLAC is an open format, it is free, and because it is free many devices including DAP (Digital Audio Player, portable player, cellphones, etc) support it.

Further referencehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Cheers,
Ex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back