Ahhhhhh, where to post??
Oct 8, 2001 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
I worte this post, but now I don't know where to put the dang thing. Normaly if this was the case I'd just wouldn't post, but I need some help on the bottom part.

Ok, this isn't important, just was both astonished and perplexed by a tape deck that I have been messing around with. First the astonishment.

I have been fooling around with a Kenwood KX-W4070 dual tape deck I have. Now, as far as I'm concerned, its a decent deck, with dobly NR B and C and HX. IT also has a headphone jack.

Now, I wasn't looking foward to monitoring though this jack, as I assumed it would be cruddy and my headphone amp is on the fritz. Boy, was I suprised. This thing is great! It even rivals my amp. Anyone else been thoughly suprised to find good stuff where you though inferrior equipment existed?

Now after a bit of messing around, I decide to go ahead and record a particular cd onto tape ( I am on a break, and didn't bother top bring my computer home from school, or else I would burn a copy). I set the bias, and record away.

The thing won't record correctly for the first five-seven mins of the tape. It doesn't give any sign of trouble, but when I play it back, the sound is warped, slowed down and speeded up randomly.

After seven mins though, the tape is fine. It's better than fine actualy, it's great. Now the wierd thing: If if FF to the other end of the tape, I don't have the problem. Its like one side of all the cassettes I've used is messed up. The tapes I'm using are kind of old (3-6years). Could the sitting cause them to bind, resulting in the funky speed changes?

I wish we had an equipment help forum or the like where people could ask for help in resolving problems such as this. Hell, we have a forum where people discuss the results of putting various materials under their cd players. Uh jude, back off, ummm, I don't see how wrapping your cables around my neck will help the sound...*gaaack*.

CaptBubba

Oct 8, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 2
'k Bubba , away we go
When you first take the tape out of the case,hold it flat in your hand label side up.Then take it with your other hand and gently tap it on the palm of the first hand.This will level out the tape.I do this with cassettes and VHS tapes.
Tip # 2 - store your tapes "tail out".That is played to the end.NEVER rewind the tape to the beginning for storage .This is a tightly wound condition and can cause all kinds of nasties.When you first go to play/record the tape,tap it then rewind it to get an evenly tensioned and packed tape

See-old guys DO have uses
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back