Aggressive memory management in Android
Oct 16, 2019 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sehnsucht

Head-Fier
Android has a number of technologies for making battery life last longer and keeping memory free for stuff that's needed. The short of it seems to be; if an app isn't whitelisted for protection from this, they're at risk of being killed, even if you're listening (because the app won't necessarily be in the foreground, or the display has been turned off). Some manufacturers provide you with some ability to control this but they often seem to act as hints rather then commandments. I have an Honor Play and there's some control over this but it's not sufficient and both Rocket Player and UAPP get paused/killed for no reason.

I'm wondering if the readers of this fine site have experienced this and what they do about it. I'm going to continue to look for ever more drastic solutions on this phone but for technical reasons (chiefly a locked bootloader) my options are very limited. I'm considering getting either another Android phone but one which allows unlocking/rooting/custom roms so no solution is off the table, or getting a DAP. Sony will be launching a few shortly so I could take advantage of a cheaper older model, or a newer Android one. Does anyone have any experience whether Android-based DAPs have similar problems? I imagine they come with an included player but I'd like to continue to use UAPP but unless steps have been taken to make the DAP more friendly towards music players one might end up in the same situation.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Android has a number of technologies for making battery life last longer and keeping memory free for stuff that's needed. The short of it seems to be; if an app isn't whitelisted for protection from this, they're at risk of being killed, even if you're listening (because the app won't necessarily be in the foreground, or the display has been turned off). Some manufacturers provide you with some ability to control this but they often seem to act as hints rather then commandments. I have an Honor Play and there's some control over this but it's not sufficient and both Rocket Player and UAPP get paused/killed for no reason.

I'm wondering if the readers of this fine site have experienced this and what they do about it. I'm going to continue to look for ever more drastic solutions on this phone but for technical reasons (chiefly a locked bootloader) my options are very limited. I'm considering getting either another Android phone but one which allows unlocking/rooting/custom roms so no solution is off the table, or getting a DAP. Sony will be launching a few shortly so I could take advantage of a cheaper older model, or a newer Android one. Does anyone have any experience whether Android-based DAPs have similar problems? I imagine they come with an included player but I'd like to continue to use UAPP but unless steps have been taken to make the DAP more friendly towards music players one might end up in the same situation.

I have been using Rocket Player on a few different samsung phones for years and never had this issue of this app being forcefully stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back