advice!
Aug 9, 2004 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Liq

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I've ordered some senn HD600's as a birthday present from my parents since my old headset broke and I couldn't think of anything else I needed. This is my first venture into decent quality audio though, having spent years listening to mp3s on cheapo headsets, so I need some decent equipment to compliment my new headphones
tongue.gif

I'm looking to spend about £200-300 in total, and after lurking around here for a while I think the best option is to rip all my CD's to one of the lossless formats and buy a decent soundcard and amp as I'd generally be around my pc anyway, wouldn't have to mess around with cables when I wanna play games etc.

Now looking at the EMU 0404 as it's about the amount I'm looking to spend and generally seems to be considered better than any of the other cards in this price range, just want to make sure that it will do the HD600's justice, or whether I'd be better off spending the money more evenly between the card and amp? If so, any suggestions other than the 1212M in that sort of price range?

Also, I play games probably as much as I listen to music, mainly CS and other FPS. I don't need the sort of features the audigy has (my shuttles onboard sound is fine for games for me), I just need good positional sound so I know where I'm being shot from. I assume the EMU will be ok for this?
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 4
No, the Emu 0404 won't do the HD600s justice. No sound card will. So, you'll need an amp and a soundcard.
I haven't heard the 0404 but it's supposed to be extremely close to my 1212m so I think the 0404 will be a good source. As far as an amp, get the most you can afford. It DOES make a difference. Not as much as a good source or good cans, but it's still fairly important.
Having said that, get the best you can afford. And I'll tell you now, the more you spend, the more difference you'll hear. But, honestly, with no amp your 600s will not sound that great.
frown.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 4
I second Devil Dog's comments. The 600's need an amp for best results. It doesn't have to be expensive. I bet Norm at Headsave can hook you up with a classic for a nice price that should be fine until your ready to go to the next level.

Aug 10, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 4
Have to agree, 404 is probably the best bang for a buck. About amp, HD 600 is just fine without amp, back then when I had Revo HD 600 sounded great without amp, anyway amp makes usually sound better, but it's persol does the person like it more... System synergy is the key, matching gear together.

If you haven't used to high quality phones it might be better imho to start without amp and get later some good, here they give headphone amps for homeaudion, maybe there too ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back