Advice regarding set up of home audio system (PC and receiver recommendations)
Sep 21, 2023 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Benesyed

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to set up a dedicated listening space in my office and am a little unsure of what I should have as my central hub. My idea set up would allow me use a PC with locally stores music files+ Tidal AND my Vinyl record player as sources and ultimately output this to headphones or my speakers. In the past I used my desktop and record player -> receiver -> speaker and headphones (of note my desktop was connected to my receiver through the music streamer II dac). The issue with this set up was as follows:

1) Doing any processing intensive task impaired streaming and even disk access for music play back to the point that there was stuttering. This was the inital push for wanting to create a separate media platform

2) My receiver was intro level and there was audible noise without music playing and even some distortion on close analysis compared to the same track on my DAP.

My sense is that any small PC but with lots of low latency high fidelity HDD space and reasonable RAM/processer will be up to the task as long as I debloat it and only use it for music. I was thinking an all in one or even a touch screen laptop. Any suggestions for candidates would be appreciated. Maybe there already exists something specifically for this end. Additionally any recommendations for receiver would be appreciated. It does not need to have a DAC as I could just use the music streamer I have, but an integrated dac in the receiver would be great to offload things from the PC and make it a pure transport.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 4
2) My receiver was intro level and there was audible noise without music playing and even some distortion on close analysis compared to the same track on my DAP.
Most likely you're hearing EMI, which can be frustrating to track down and eradicate. EMI is not uncommon, especially when using a PC as a source. A dedicated source, like a streamer, server, or even a DAP as a source can def help with that.

Best way to test is to use your DAP as a source and use the exact same setup/configuratin that you use when using your PC. If the noise disappears then you know it's your PC. If the noise remains, then the headache starts. Routers, modems, wifi, lights, dimmer switches, dirty electricity, USB cables, switches, ethernet cables can all cause/magnify noise.

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Most likely you're hearing EMI, which can be frustrating to track down and eradicate. EMI is not uncommon, especially when using a PC as a source. A dedicated source, like a streamer, server, or even a DAP as a source can def help with that.

Best way to test is to use your DAP as a source and use the exact same setup/configuratin that you use when using your PC. If the noise disappears then you know it's your PC. If the noise remains, then the headache starts. Routers, modems, wifi, lights, dimmer switches, dirty electricity, USB cables, switches, ethernet cables can all cause/magnify noise.

That previous receiver actually has stopped working thus the impetus for creating a new system. It was a very very shoddy receiver. I have looked into streamers but you still need some platform to feed into them no?

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 4
That previous receiver actually has stopped working thus the impetus for creating a new system. It was a very very shoddy receiver. I have looked into streamers but you still need some platform to feed into them no?
Yes, of course. I didn't realize that receiver had actually died on you, still my advice above stands. If after you get a new receiver and the noise persists then you know how to troubleshoot the situation.

I've personally never experienced a receiver being the source of noise before, whereas the items I listed above have all at one point or the other in my system, been a detriment to good sound.

I know there are a few all-in-one solutions out there that are streamers/DACs/HP amps all in one box, but I have no experience with any of those.

Have you considered getting a nice vintage receiver? Granted, they will not have the digital to analog decoding capability, but based on pure sound quality, my vintage receivers blow the doors off of any of the modern AVRs I own/ed.

I don't keep mine in my chain for pure nostalgic reasons. They each are very powerful and musical sounding HP amps, not to mention all of the tone control options they have and can drive your speakers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back