Advice on car alarms???
Oct 12, 2001 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
Lets see, how do I keep this remotely on topic….

Ok, I just bought this new stereo system, see. Strictly low-fi, but it has a reasonable speaker layout and is bi-amped. It even has a massive DC power supply that is in turn powered by a dual overhead cam four valve per cylinder V-8...

oops.

Anyway the dealer tacked on $400 for a factory brand alarm that they had installed (although not all that well). I am tempted to tell them to take it off and go get something and install it myself, but I have never shopped for car alarms. Any expertise or good links? Pitfalls? I don't like letting other people work on my vehicles, but how DIY friendly are these things?

Thanks

Oct 12, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 12
I won't claim to be a car alarm expert, but, I think that they tend to be fairly easy to install. I don't like the shock sensor type devices as they tend to false alarm frequently. I think you could probably handle the installation. However, I would raise hell with the dealer and get your money back. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship. Take qa visit to one of the car stereo shops and see what they offer for car alarm selection.

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Get a big dog and leave him in the front seat
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
Must...
control...
pun...
reflex...

Wouldn't that be classified as a woofer replacement?

Damn, it got away from me.

BWHAHAHHAHHAHA that is the funniest pun ive heard in ages
Three cheers for you Greg
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 12
I've never really seen the value of car alarms. I hear them going off quite a bit, but it usually just annoys everybody, doesn't actually alarm anyone.

Gotta go w/ the "woofer replacement" suggestion. Except I'd get a small dog, because they tend to have the most fight in them, and hide him in the glove compartment. That way, when a thief is in the middle of stealing you stuff, the dog can jump out all ninja-like on his sorry behind and rip him a new one!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 12
I guess the small dog would be the mid-woofer, with the big dog in the trunk as the (it pains me to type this) sub-woofer.

Given that those hysterically obnoxious cactus wrens get in the car if the windows are left down a bit, I would have a full range system!

The factory setup only blows the horn. Unfortunately it also honks it when I arm the system, presumably so that everybody will know that I have an alarm and be impressed. I hate that feature, and intend to have it disabled. It would be cool if it would bark once when I armed it!

<arm> "woof"
<disarm> "woof woof"
<panic> "bark bark bark snarl slobber growl chew up seats..."
<ctrl-alt del> "whimper/pee on floormat"

Oct 15, 2001 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Car alarms are the bane of Brooklyn. No one even looks outside when one goes off, just a lot of fantasies about owning a rocket launcher, or wishing that the car actually gets stolen so the offending noise goes away. Have you considered a lo-jack (sp?) and steering wheel lock?

Oct 16, 2001 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 12
huy-ha, you raise a damned good point. If I am out of earshot it probably won't do much good anyway. Maybe the Lojack, or one of the systems with a pager...

I neglected to mention the real reason the alarm is pissing me off. The dealer sprung it on me after I had agreed to the full sticker price of the car (specialty vehicle). They also burried a $200 fee for window etching and registration in the contract, and only had it labeled with some acronym. These are probably both useful features, but the way they are sleazing them into the sale strikes me as unethical. That crap should be on the window sticker. This is just the latest version of "protection package".

Moral: nobody on the sales side of the car transaction is your friend.

On the plus side the car is a hoot, and I am really enjoying driving it. One of my other obsessions (a.k.a. hobbies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back