Advice from meta42 pros pls?
Jul 18, 2002 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TaffyGuy

100+ Head-Fier
Alright here's how it is. I'm an EE student home for the summer where I've got a garage FULL of tools and raw materials. I've got a weathered EE of a father and I live a couple miles from DigiKey. So from what I gather I'm in pretty good shape to make a strong start into DIY, and i'm starting to foam at the mouth with anticipation about this after only a couple days.

I've got some HD600 and no dedicated headphone amp, and I'm very close to buying some ety 4 (s or p someone help me out here!?) so eric i see we're kindred spirits
wink.gif

What I'm asking of you guys is to drop your humble crap and please just tell me with your experience exactly what to buy... preferably DigiKey stuff
biggrin.gif
and whatever else is common at brick and motar stores (it seems that shipping is the real killer with these guys) I know its mix and match and you have to experiement and i should start with a cmoy and so on but I'm impatient and arrogant and I want to cut to the chase and start as soon as possible. The portability seems cool but i'd definately like to have wall wart as an option because this is going to be my only amp, so i don't mind about size so much if a new board(?) would be easier to work with. perhaps you've done this before... but can you think of a good spec for good but common parts i'm gunna need to build one of these puppies w/o knowing any brand names for myself?? I'd appreciate links and pics and a fullout spec, because you guys are building them so you know what sounds the best and what makes the difference.

I take it Tangent has the boards. should i order one right away with all the default fixings? or do i need more stuff from him as well? command me! tell me to do what you wish you had with your first attempts! feed me info! I'm going nuts here! And above all thank you much
biggrin.gif

And once again gasping for breath, the young and foolish TaffyGuy signs out...

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Do a search for META. You should find a boatload of information on the amp including discussions of what to buy and how to build.

In addition, check out Tangent's pages: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/meta42/index.html

Describes the META, includes parts lists, tips for construction, parts selection advice, yada, yada, yada.

Bruce

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 8
yeah, there's a back and forth everywhere of options and this and that and replacement this and which caps and which opamps and such, but i was looking for more of a quick and dirty way to just get the complete answer from someone who knows it best.

i guess for the most part i'll just have to do my research and figure it out for myself for the most part... but still if someone could tell me which itmes to put numbers by and what numbers on tangents page just so i can start out... or tell me what this talk of a new board is about... oh well, just too excited. i'll try and stop crudding up the place with new threads everywhere.

Oh i'm also planning on building my own case, I think it would be fun. well I'll keep reading, and if anyone has any "must" advice from their vast experience, i'd love to hear it.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 8
eh... maybe i should go with my initial plan of printing out buying all of tangents stuff then printing out his parts list go down buying all the digikey items. actually this is probably a pretty solid plan, and i can always swap out parts when i inevidably become a DIY pro...

bleh, going home in a few minutes, will email you. perhaps you have Aim? i'll check profiles.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 8
Between the META42 pages parts list and the part values on the schematic, I don't think you can go too far wrong. Buy sockets for the board as described in the "building for tweakability" section, and you'll be prepared to change parts later if you choose.

You can do an all-DigiKey amp, if you want. The main limitation of doing it this way is that you have a limited selection of op-amps from DigiKey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back