Advice for 1TB Internal SATA Drives for RAID Array
May 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Laptopia

500+ Head-Fier
I need to populate a NAS device with four big SATA drives (storage algorithm will be a proprietary one called "X-Raid", similar to RAID-5).

Googling has yielded a number of choices, but I haven't been able to locate a chart of side-by-side comparisons.

Decision criterium is almost solely price/reliability ratio. Speed is not important. If anyone has advice or opinions to offer, please bring it on.

May 29, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reliability is hard to measure, seems to be a bit of crapshoot and you'll can only look statistics long after the drives are obsolete.

As I wrote previously, I am looking at a price/reliability ratio. If the cheapest happens to be pretty reliable, great. But price isn't the only consideration.

May 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reliability is hard to measure, seems to be a bit of crapshoot and you'll can only look statistics long after the drives are obsolete.

I believe that quality control can be evaluated by historical rates of failure.

May 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Linthicum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was an article written by a few Google engineers about a year ago concerning the reliability of consumer level drives. Most of Google's server farms are run on low-end drives for cost reasons so Google has a lot of experience with cheap drives.

In the end, the article concluded that all manufacturer's drives were about equally reliable.

I'll see if I can find the article.

May 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Linthicum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You'll just find what how reliable the historical drives were, not what the current models are.

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 10
If your RAID is relatively fail-safe, just pick any drive with a decent warranty. For almost two decades, I've never had a hard drive fail (fingers crossed). Sure, some like the IBM DeskStar eventually developed bad sectors, but never a massive unforeseen failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back