Advice Cowon D3 vs IBASSO DX170
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RubberduckzillA

Head-Fier
So I live in the UK, DAPs are in a state of really low stock, I currently have a D1 and a FIIO E12A Mont Blanc amp. I use FIIO FA7s (which I adore).

I had a D3 on order for £280 but the date has been pushed back from the 28th nov to 6th of Jan. However the Ibasso DX170 is in stock for £370 but I can get 10% off so £341.40.

I know the Ibasso is going to have significantly worse battery life, but what I want to know is does anyone have any experience with listening to both these daps? I like a neutral flat sound, I am very used to the cowon tuning and like it a lot. Is the IBASSO generally neutral? I know they both share the same DACs but obviously tuning etc makes all the difference.

If no one ha sexperience with both, can anyone chime in on the IBASSO and how neutral/flat it is and how accurate it's timber is. Timber is extremely important to me.
I am also considering an FIO M11 Plus, but that is a significant step up and even with 10% off would cost £450.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 3
AFAIK Cowon DAPs have been more or less unavailable for something like two years now, and there have been some rumors on Cowon-related threads that they were going through fiscal struggles in relation to a mobile gaming venture or something.

Presumably your dealer has better information- maybe the freeze has been mostly pandemic & supply-chain related, but it's something to take into account.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 3
AFAIK Cowon DAPs have been more or less unavailable for something like two years now, and there have been some rumors on Cowon-related threads that they were going through fiscal struggles in relation to a mobile gaming venture or something.

Presumably your dealer has better information- maybe the freeze has been mostly pandemic & supply-chain related, but it's something to take into account.
The dealer said that they were hoping for some in november but information from cowon has been non existant. So they have no idea really.
This is why i'm thinking of swapping brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back