Advice: Closed-back, over-the-ear, big-head-n-ears headphone for movies
Jul 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nytkim

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone! I will buy a headphone and need some advice.

Price range: U$80-U$200. Benefit-cost ratio.
Use: 60% Movies. 30% Gaming. 10% Music.
Type and style: Closed-back. Over-the-ear. Big-head-n-ears.
Concerns: 40% Sound Quality. 30% Comfort. 30% Durability.
Sound preference: I don't know if this helps, but I usually choose the option for rock equalization in a car's sound system for every genre.
Source: Desktop
Prefer: No amp / low impedance (mostly because of the price, unless it's really worth it)
Wire: Wired (wireless network and devices at home; don't want to bother with batteries)
What was I looking at: The headphone I was really looking to buy was the HD 558 or the HD 598, but they seem to have a lot of leakage and no isolation at all. I live near a metro station and my apartment does not have a good isolation overall.

Current Amazon prices for some headphones (as of 12/07/2014):
ATH-M50s: U$ 109
ATH-A700x: U$ 130
Sony MDR1R: U$ 180
DT 770-PRO-32: U$ 190

I didn't include AKG because I heard its quality has been dropping since 2013, but I have seen people in this forum talking about k550 and k702. Can someone who bought them recently comment about them? Their current prices are U$ 232 and U$ 222

Like I said, I am also concerned about benefit-cost ratio. I think the M50s are in the same tier as the DT 770 and the MDR1R, but it is much cheaper, having the best benefit-cost ratio, is that right?

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 3
I just got the K550s and think they're great for your application. Very comfortable I have no problem getting a good seal on them.  If you're up for bidding on them on ebay you can easily get some for $120-$150.  A700 would also be a great choice, although I haven't wore them long enough to comment on comfort.

Open cans would do just fine if the only thing you need isolation from a metro when you're in your apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back