Administrative Privileges with USB DACs?
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Capital

Head-Fier
I've been having fun with my Darkvoice 336i but now it's time to focus on the work rig.

I'm 99% certain I'm going to go with a UHA-3 from Leckerton Audio but was worried that the computer wouldn't let me use the device because of the "administrative privileges" that I don't have. I'm assuming the computer would ask for these since wouldn't the computer see it like I'm trying to add hardware? I am able to connect my BlackBerry and the computer uses it as a mass storage device just fine.

Anyone have any insight on this or similar devices and how they interface?

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 9
I think you'll be OK without administrative privileges. The DAC will show up as a USB audio device, and Windows has built-in drivers for that, so you don't need to install any software.

If you can successfully plug in your Blackberry, or a USB storage key, then you should be OK.

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 9
i'm able to connect my corda move via usb to work computers that i don't have administrator privileges on. a little bubble pops up, saying usb dac found, or something of that nature. it installs, and works. assuming that all usb dacs are detected similarly, you should be fine.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Great, thank you. I'll give this a go then
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many privileges between Administrative and None. Some will allow you to connect the DAC, but not select it as your default audio output device. If you PC is really locked down it won't accept the DAC at all.

Is there any solid way to test if it will work? I was going through the control panel and did notice that I cannot get into "add hardware" however, I can switch the soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back