Adding Delay to Audio
May 1, 2006 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tetraburmium

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first ever post here
Simply put, I use my pc as a tv, and have the audio and video running through separate systems. The video runs from a VCR to the video-in on the gfx card, and then appears using VLC. My sound goes in through the RCA-in on my X-Fi breakout tray and then simply plays through the speakers/headphones because its a line-in.
The problem is, the processing times are different for the two streams, video taking longer than audio, and I was wondering if there is a way to delay the audio by a few miliseconds so that I can bring it manually into line with the video.
Of course I could just buy a tv tuner card and make everything a lot easier but that would entail spending money, and i already have a working system, so it seems like a waste.
Thanks in advance, tetraburmium
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by tetraburmium
Hi guys, first ever post here
Simply put, I use my pc as a tv, and have the audio and video running through separate systems. The video runs from a VCR to the video-in on the gfx card, and then appears using VLC. My sound goes in through the RCA-in on my X-Fi breakout tray and then simply plays through the speakers/headphones because its a line-in.
The problem is, the processing times are different for the two streams, video taking longer than audio, and I was wondering if there is a way to delay the audio by a few miliseconds so that I can bring it manually into line with the video.
Of course I could just buy a tv tuner card and make everything a lot easier but that would entail spending money, and i already have a working system, so it seems like a waste.
Thanks in advance, tetraburmium
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is one solution:

Download the energyXT Standalone and install it.

Open the eXT Setup screen :

extssetup4vt.jpg

- select X-Fi's ASIO driver (behind the Setup -button you can set latency)
- set the sample rate to 44.1 - 96 kHz (creation mode, does other modes support ASIO?)
- select inputs (L/R) you're using for audio input
- select outputs (L/R) you're using for audio output
- control the 'delay' w/ the "Buffer Size" setting

On eXT Main screen:

extsmain3tr.jpg

- connect the MasterIn and MasterOut (blue) pins by dragging from one to other w/ mouse.

You can add what ever VST -effects to this path (check out, what all there are available @ KVR (> 500 listed)).

You can do this w/ all other recording software (w/ buffer setting capability) too.

If you can't set the ASIO on X-Fi's Mode you're using, try w/ Asio4All drivers instead of Creative's native ASIO.

Note: You need to make the Master-I/O connection on MAin window every time you start the eXT (because of it's a demo version). You can save your 'work' but you can't load it (unless you get the licence).

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back