AD8099
Jul 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

NelsonVandal

1000+ Head-Fier
And you thought AD8397 was cranky. This chip is as stable as a teenage girl with borderline personality disorder. I managed to get the DC-offset down to - 50 mV, but the offset was drifting a bit and it seemed very sensitive to interference. I only have one chip left, but I connected it to my Philips cans anyway. There was no audible noise or oscillation. Even though I connected the cans in parallel = 16 Ohm load, there was a lot of power. It's hard to evaluate the sound since it was mono, but it sounded sweet to me.

I'm giving up on this chip. I don't have the skills to tame it. I tried to get some evaluation boards from Analog, but failed. I used it on a BrownDog adapter and soldered 805 ceramic capacitors and resistors along with size A tantalums directly on the BrownDog's traces/opamp pins. Maybe a good board would have solved the problems.

I use it's "sibling", AD8045, as ground channel in an amp, and it sounds very good. I had such high hopes for this chip. In spite of my failure, I'm going to try ADA4899-1 next time. The spec's are even more impressive, and it doesn't need any external compensation.

Has anybody tried one of those chips with any success?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back