AD8066 Run Hot?
Mar 11, 2007 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
I have all of my freakin PIMETA built but the dang AD8066 seems like it is running hot. It isn't so hot that I cant bear to hold my finger on it but it isn't something I would really want to do. Do these run hot? It is a freaking SO8 that I am trying to adapt to a Brown Dog DIP8 adapter. I have seated it 4 times not and still cannot see any solder bridges, even under a microscope. If I listen to the amp, there is a hum but it goes away when I hold on to the pot. It isn't really bad sounding but the hot chip worries me. Any ideas? I am putting my camera on charge so I will try to put up a pic tomorrow. I am a little afraid to take the chip off again because one of the pads came loose on my adaptle board, luckily it wasnt really used.

TIA,
Michael

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 5
The AD8066 runs at 45-50 deg.C. in mine, about 30% hotter than any other chip I've tried. If it's running hotter than this, it may be oscillating. What have you got running in ground? The AD8065 is not appropriate in my experience. How's your bass response and warmth? If it's oscillating, it also loses bass and sounds lean and unremarkable.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the AD744 in ground (suggested by you). I haven't tried hooking up a good source or my good headphones to it yet because of the chip. Im going to check DC offsets as soon as possible. It was late last night and I was afraid to wake the parents with my meter beeping.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, then - I suspect you're OK. As stated, the AD8066 runs much hotter - even hotter than the AD8620, which is also a small SOIC chip. 50 deg C. can feel very hot to the touch, almost as if it would burn ... but you should be able to leave your finger on there indefinitely. Think hot metal on a car in the sun - it's similar.

If you have good sound, without a distinct "lean-ness" or lack of bass, then that's more evidence that everything should be OK.

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Well, this morning I plugged it in and I don't think I can leave it on there indefinately. There seems to be something screwy. I have a Sperry meter that when I put it on mV, jumps everywhere and I don't think I can get an accurate reading. It was a 50$ meter, thought it would suit me fine but I guess not. I can't take it back though
frown.gif
. anyways, I'm going to look up the data sheets on all of this so I can try to measure some voltages.

-EDIT- Well, I blew a buffer today. I somehow put it in backwards. I always check before I turn them on but somehow I missed it. It might be a while before I can buy another one as my parents dont like me using their CCard. Now I don't have a way of checking the 8066 temp because of the stupid buffer. It oscillated no matter which socket I put it in, which is why I know it is bad and not just a connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back