AD OP297 direct drop in?
May 29, 2003 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the AD OP297 op amp?

From the spec sheet it appears I could use this as a direct drop in for the BB OPA2132 / 2604 / 2227 / 2228 or the AD 712 / 823

Comments appreciated:

Dual Low Bias Current Precision Operational Amplifier
General Description

The OP-297 is the first dual op amp to pack precision performance into the space-saving, industry standard 8-pin SO package. Its combination of precision with low power and extremely low input bias current makes the dual OP-297 useful in a wide variety of applications.

Precision performance of the OP-297 includes very low offset, under 50µV, and low drift, below 0.6µV/°C. Open-loop gain exceeds 2000V/mV insuring high linearity in every application. Errors due to common-mode signals are eliminated by the OP-297's common-mode rejection of over 120 dB. The OP-297's power supply rejection of over 120dB minimizes offset voltage changes experienced in battery powered systems. Supply current of the OP-297 is under 625µA per amplifier and it can operate with supply voltages as low a ±2V.

The OP-297 utilizes a super-beta input stage with bias current cancellation to maintain picoamp bias currents at all temperatures. This is in contrast to FET input op amps whose bias currents start in the picoamp range of 25°C, but double for every 10°C rise in temperature, to reach the nanoamp range above 85°C. Input bias current of the OP-297 is under 100pA at 25°C and is under 450pA over the military temperature range.

Combining precision, low power and low bias current, the OP-297 is ideal for a number of applications including instrumentation amplifiers, log amplifiers, phot-diode preamplifiers and long-term integrators. For a single device, see the OP-97; for a quad, see the OP-497.

May 30, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 2
I think this chip has uses primarily by the military and also finds it's way into cheap DACs.
The slew rate is 100 times down from the AD 8620 and the GBP is also low, which may signify sonic disaster; I can't be sure but I think it'll also dump lumps of DC.
Highly unrecommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back