Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #481 of 2,162
I also read about it being too powerful for certain iems but FW updates had addressed this?? 
Also its reassuring to hear from Sladewilson411 that this is not an issue.
The M20 sounds promising but I have not really seen much on it yet.
At one point I was sold on the Onkyo DP-X1 but after seeing so many unsatisfied users I abandoned that path and see the M2 as the better of the players with wifi to date.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #482 of 2,162
The Sennheiser IE 800 work really well. They sound fantastic and there are no volume or background noise issues. You can get a case on Amazon.

John

Thanks John247! I'll check Amazon for a case and those IE800 have always been on my wish list....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #484 of 2,162
Thanks well so far I know the update has fixed the lower volume of Third party apps such as Tidal there is a bit of a process to it though so it's still in beta testing. Albums, artwork and artists navigation being worked on. The team are really pushing for continuous updates so this thing will hopefully just keep on evolving. I will ask about the battery life because it's something I'd like to see as well but I will run my M2 down today and give it a full charge and tell you what battery life I'm getting out of it with WiFi and just using the inbuilt player give me a few days. 

Had a look at the Sony's but not feeling universals atm just because I want to be selfish and have a pair to call just mine lol although sound get custom sleeves..... How are the micro details and mids? 
I have to say the rate the team pushing out beta firmware to test is quite impressive. I'm currently testing V2.5.6.

With regards to pairing with IEMS, which I'm currently using the Noble K10 and Savant, my way of overcoming the volume/sensitivity issue is to use the EQ to push down the volume. This may have compressed the dynamic range somehow but so far I don't hear a major degradation in sound. Others may worth a try to see what they think?

I'm wondering if there will be any sample of the impedance adapter (which I know has been released) to try in the UK?

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #485 of 2,162
I have to say the rate the team pushing out beta firmware to test is quite impressive. I'm currently testing V2.5.6.

With regards to pairing with IEMS, which I'm currently using the Noble K10 and Savant, my way of overcoming the volume/sensitivity issue is to use the EQ to push down the volume. This may have compressed the dynamic range somehow but so far I don't hear a major degradation in sound. Others may worth a try to see what they think?

I'm wondering if there will be any sample of the impedance adapter (which I know has been released) to try in the UK?

Hi mate, i'm currently using this impedance adapter for sensitive iem with the AR-M2 and it works perfectly fine for me. Highly recommended
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-to-3-5mm-Impedance-Adapter-Plug-For-Hi-Fi-Audio-player-AMP-DAC-Earphone-/380932180092?var=&hash=item58b153c87c:m:mTYTIMVVhRj3Y73N82lrXLg

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #486 of 2,162

A sample unit just arrived here and agree it is sad to hear you need an impedance adapter instead of a simple GUI Hi/Lo output setting. Fortunately I have some 'phones of various types, yet love the CIEMs Noble K10 and 64 Audio A12. Aw well, the M2 is burning in right now before I give it any major listening sesh and decide to keep or punt for the newer M20 coming out in a few months.

PS: And yes I have the new firmware and looks to be bug squashing and adding gapless support.

I am looking for a DAP that would replace my old DX100 currently paired with 64 Audio A12.
What are your impressions of M2 + A12?
Is there a hiss related to high sensivity of this 12 BA?

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #488 of 2,162
I am looking for a DAP that would replace my old DX100 currently paired with 64 Audio A12.
What are your impressions of M2 + A12?
Is there a hiss related to high sensivity of this 12 BA?

Maybe wait a couple of weeks for the imminent M20. Apparently designed to be more IEM friendly.
Otherwise I think I am right in saying that you would need an impedance adaptor to use the M2 with a multi BA.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #491 of 2,162
So i got my M2 and must say the sound is quite good! I have an issue where moving the volume up or down with no music playing it produces a static sound. 

Also when using spotify, I notice a strange sound before a song loads then a few seconds later the song will load and play fine. I have no issues with the unit when using files from the internal memory or SD card.
Any others notice this or similar issues?

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #492 of 2,162
  So i got my M2 and must say the sound is quite good! I have an issue where moving the volume up or down with no music playing it produces a static sound. 

Also when using spotify, I notice a strange sound before a song loads then a few seconds later the song will load and play fine. I have no issues with the unit when using files from the internal memory or SD card.
Any others notice this or similar issues?

Hi mate, note that this 2.5.6 firmware is the beta one. Acoustic Research based in UK need someone like us to test their firmware and report back to them so they can improve it and make it official. You can report back to this person robert.follis@gmail.com
He is in charge of software development. And state your problem clearly so he can work on that further. And when i use my iem with the impedance adapter there is no static sound but when i use iem without it i can hear the static sound when no music is played. It is because its amp is too strong and they want to keep the organic sound so they didn't put too many filters to prevent the static noise for highly sensitive iem. Hope this help!

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #493 of 2,162

I think beta testing is great and feed back is very important. I would think that a big name like AR would have a representative reviewing these forums to pick up feedback and conversations about their products. I know on other forums the companies seem to have someone as an ear who gathers information and provides updates back to the development teams. Perhaps that should be the case here. I also realize there appears to be a small audience of fans here. I will send a note to the person mentioned in your reply with my issues and hope that a future release will address these minor issues.
Thanks Again!

Perhaps an announcement on when the M20 will be released will happen soon and we can have another choice from the AR line!

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #494 of 2,162

I think beta testing is great and feed back is very important. I would think that a big name like AR would have a representative reviewing these forums to pick up feedback and conversations about their products. I know on other forums the companies seem to have someone as an ear who gathers information and provides updates back to the development teams. Perhaps that should be the case here. I also realize there appears to be a small audience of fans here. I will send a note to the person mentioned in your reply with my issues and hope that a future release will address these minor issues.
Thanks Again!

Perhaps an announcement on when the M20 will be released will happen soon and we can have another choice from the AR line!

Completely agree! Also don't worry this thread has ears and to make things a little better how does a suggestions page on AR's website grab ya. The team are thinking about implementing this in order to really get interactive with the customers and make the significant improvements that people actually want, 

The M20 is coming soon will be updating the thread with all the information as soon as it becomes public information. I must say the M20 will tick a hell of a lot of boxes in terms of sound and with the constant string of firmware updates will be a real thing of beauty. The company's ethos is to become more customer focused and rather than telling people what they want (Apple I'm looking at you lol) is genuinely looking to improve and respond to want people want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back