Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Mar 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #468 of 2,162
I use Tidal with the M2. It's still excellent. Generic path or not.

Good to hear. :) I will probably go for the M20 when it comes out as I use CIEM's. My stack is a brick to carry around. Hopefully the M20 will also be a bit lighter than the M2.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #469 of 2,162
They are currently beta testing a newer version of the M2 firmware v2.5.2
https://www.facebook.com/acousticresearchdigital/posts/1206527589365244

Another review here: http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/acoustic-research-m2-1315598/review?src=rss&attr=all

Hi,

I registered especially for this thread.

1. I have an ARM2 player for 3 months now. The SQ is astounding (with Oppo PM1/PM3, I don't have any IEMS), I was only missing two features :
- gap-less playback (now fixed by the 2.5.1 beta firmware, at least for FLAC 16/44)
- standard music organization : ARTIST -> ALBUM -> SONGS (and not ARTIST -> SONGS (in aphabetic order ?! why not in album order ?)), not fixed by the 2.5.1 beta firmware. I have tons of music, and I don't always remember an ALBUM name... I have to search for ARTIST, look for the SONGS, find the ALBUM name, go to ALBUM list, play the ALBUM...

2. I also have the already mentioned SD Card random unmounting bug (using 200G Sandisk card). An Android issue ?

3. I do not have Facebook (and I won't), how do I get the new beta firmware ?

Thank you

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #470 of 2,162

Hi,

I registered especially for this thread.

1. I have an ARM2 player for 3 months now. The SQ is astounding (with Oppo PM1/PM3, I don't have any IEMS), I was only missing two features :
- gap-less playback (now fixed by the 2.5.1 beta firmware, at least for FLAC 16/44)
- standard music organization : ARTIST -> ALBUM -> SONGS (and not ARTIST -> SONGS (in aphabetic order ?! why not in album order ?)), not fixed by the 2.5.1 beta firmware. I have tons of music, and I don't always remember an ALBUM name... I have to search for ARTIST, look for the SONGS, find the ALBUM name, go to ALBUM list, play the ALBUM...

2. I also have the already mentioned SD Card random unmounting bug (using 200G Sandisk card). An Android issue ?

3. I do not have Facebook (and I won't), how do I get the new beta firmware ?

Thank you

+1

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #472 of 2,162
Anyone still out there lol. Update coming soon will have full details later this month all being well. Anyone interested in getting this up on Massdrop have a few friends begging for it to go on and snatch one up. 

By the way anyone got the SE 5-way Ultimate earphones so tempted.... Recommendations for a good CIEM I'm pretty much sold on the idea I'm not getting much better sound out of anything than my M2 at the moment so need a good companion. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #473 of 2,162
  Anyone still out there lol. Update coming soon will have full details later this month all being well. Anyone interested in getting this up on Massdrop have a few friends begging for it to go on and snatch one up. 

By the way anyone got the SE 5-way Ultimate earphones so tempted.... Recommendations for a good CIEM I'm pretty much sold on the idea I'm not getting much better sound out of anything than my M2 at the moment so need a good companion. 

I'm waiting breathlessly (well at least with some excitement). I really enjoy the sound. I hope that the UI will finally get the update it needs for easier access to albums by artist. Added battery life would also be nice if possible.

As for IEMs, I am extremely happy with the Sony XBA-Z5. It sounds amazing. It is extremely accurate and detailed without being fatiguing. It is not however a custom fit. Also, it does not provide complete isolation so it is not ideal for really noisy environments.

Cheers

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #474 of 2,162

Massdrop--absolutely count me in. I'm ready to pull the trigger now on one!

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #475 of 2,162
  I'm waiting breathlessly (well at least with some excitement). I really enjoy the sound. I hope that the UI will finally get the update it needs for easier access to albums by artist. Added battery life would also be nice if possible.

As for IEMs, I am extremely happy with the Sony XBA-Z5. It sounds amazing. It is extremely accurate and detailed without being fatiguing. It is not however a custom fit. Also, it does not provide complete isolation so it is not ideal for really noisy environments.

Cheers

Thanks well so far I know the update has fixed the lower volume of Third party apps such as Tidal there is a bit of a process to it though so it's still in beta testing. Albums, artwork and artists navigation being worked on. The team are really pushing for continuous updates so this thing will hopefully just keep on evolving. I will ask about the battery life because it's something I'd like to see as well but I will run my M2 down today and give it a full charge and tell you what battery life I'm getting out of it with WiFi and just using the inbuilt player give me a few days. 

Had a look at the Sony's but not feeling universals atm just because I want to be selfish and have a pair to call just mine lol although sound get custom sleeves..... How are the micro details and mids? 

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #476 of 2,162
At some point I will have this player, I look forward to it very much. Now I'm facing the ultimate dilemma -- Which Iems??? 
Any favorite pairings with the M2? 
Universals is my preference for now but am so tempted to go the customs route.
Right now Im in a toss between Empire's, Heir, Rhapsodio and Nobles.

Also where can I get a case?

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #477 of 2,162
At some point I will have this player, I look forward to it very much. Now I'm facing the ultimate dilemma -- Which Iems??? 

This is only from what I've read on here.
The M2 only works with certain IEM's.
For many it is just too powerful.
There is an adaptor available which changes the impedance of the output.
A workaround but may have a negative effect on SQ.
( This may have been sorted now. )
The M20 is due to be released very soon. Designed with IEM's in mind and cheaper too. :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #478 of 2,162
This is only from what I've read on here.
The M2 only works with certain IEM's.
For many it is just too powerful.
There is an adaptor available which changes the impedance of the output.
A workaround but may have a negative effect on SQ.
( This may have been sorted now. )
The M20 is due to be released very soon. Designed with IEM's in mind and cheaper too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have owned the M2 for sometime now. I use it mainly with the Heir 10 with impedance adapter and the sound production is still the same as without the adapter and this player is amazing compare to any players at that price range. I don't know about the M20 but i guess it can't be compared to this M2 flagship in term of sq

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #479 of 2,162

The Sennheiser IE 800 work really well. They sound fantastic and there are no volume or background noise issues. You can get a case on Amazon.

John

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #480 of 2,162
I have owned the M2 for sometime now. I use it mainly with the Heir 10 with impedance adapter and the sound production is still the same as without the adapter and this player is amazing compare to any players at that price range. I don't know about the M20 but i guess it can't be compared to this M2 flagship in term of sq

Apparently the SQ of the M20 will be very close. If not the M2 is the way forward.
Good to know that the adaptor is sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back