About to buy an n95....yay or nay?
May 4, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had just bought an N95-4 myself (which I would suggest you get over the N95-3 BTW) about two weeks ago. Prior to that I had been a diehard "QWERTY required" on phones kind of a guy and was on an E70-2, and most recently an E90, until I realized the reality was, I was hardly texting or emailing or web browsing on my phone anyways. So I decided my next phone should be a "fun" phone. And the N95 is certainly a fun phone.

I'm loving mine a lot, and the funny thing is, prior to getting one, I never took the N95 seriously and never understood why it was so expensive. But minus the QWERTY keyboard, it's a phone that's pretty much got everything but the kitchen sink thrown in it. I've been able to throw full blown movies into it encoded with XviD to 1024kbps, fit to its screen resolution, and run them at 30FPS with 128kbps audio without a hiccup. The speakers are simply the best out of any phone out there currently. It's able to capture videos quite clearly and has a solid camera. The OS is also very fast and snappy as well, which was NOT the case with the E70-2 I had. Battery life hasn't been an issue at all with the N95-4; I can go for 3-4 days with normal phone usage, or 2 days if I go nuts messing with its multimedia side. I have not had to charge it within the same day so far, which seemed like an issue with the N95-1.

I decided to pick the N95-4 over the N96 because, as somebody else said, there's nothing mindblowingly amazing that the N96 has over the N95-4. Plus it may go through a usual Nokia release phase of coming out in the European version first, before finally having a North American version a year later.

In any case, I'd say go for it...it's a phone that truly lives up to its hype IMO. You may also want to look into the N82 if the camera is really important to you, as the N82 currently has the best phone camera available I believe. Pretty much all of its other specs are very similar or the same as the N95, other than an obviously smaller screen.

How do you feel about the 8GB limitation? I got the -3 hoping that I can see the 32GB SD card later this year...I have 2 8GB right now one has nothing but movies on it
wink.gif
oh and I also have Garmin XT (the BEST GPS software period!) which requires the sd slot to function.

May 4, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 21
a friend of mine has the n95, i have to say it felt a bit plasticy for me.
i went with an iphone

May 4, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallardo88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vertigo-1 :
I found it interesting that you mentioned I should get the n95-4. Almost every single site, review, article, etc. i'v read seemed to be in favor of the n-95-3. I was leaning towards the -3 only because of the price
smily_headphones1.gif
So, in your opinion, what makes the n95-4 a better phone?
thanks

Actually they are largely the one and the same, the major influence for me to choose the -4 was the extra screen size (which as some reviews point out, the .2" makes a bigger difference in person than you'd think), as well as the all black color. And believe me once you get to stare at a 2.8" screen everyday, it gets really hard to go back to anything smaller. Also I wanted to have the internal 8GB storage space; for me it's way more than enough, as at the end of the day, it's still just a phone to me and I don't plan to jam pack it with stuff that's better taken care of by other devices.

May 4, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 21
Vertigo: Thank you for the response. I actually had a chance to compare the two phones today, and the smaller screen didn't bother me that much. Plus, I come from a phone with a 1 1.2 inch display
biggrin.gif

The deal-breaker for me is that the 8gb doesn't come with removable cards. I would buy it if it had some kind of removable memory.
I think I'll go with n95-3....it seems to suit my needs better.
Thanks to all who replied.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: is 490 a good price for the -3 in black? it's the cheapest I could find ( amazon, btw)
thanks again

May 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 21
for anybody that's been using the n95 i have a couple of questions:

1) how well do the gps navigation functions work (either with nokia maps or garmin xt, etc) when compared with a dedicated gps? i would think the small screen might be an issue if you're trying to use it in a car.

2) have you used it as a wireless modem via usb/bluetooth at all? what carrier/rate plan do you use for this?

i'm going to be doing a lot of traveling soon and if it works well in both of these areas i might go ahead and pick one up. the only other option i'm considering is just to wait for the next version of the iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back