About to build a Dynahi.......
Dec 8, 2005 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I’m pretty close to making the decision to build a Dynahi. I plan to buy two pre-built amp modules with heatsinks from SFT. I will build a Gilmore PSU but will buy the heatsink from SFT. I realize that a Dynahi can be a challenge to build. I think I may have got around a few of the trickier aspects of building one by purchasing some items pre-built. Here are my assumptions:

1. I do not have to worry about matching transistors
2. I do not have to worry about heatsinks
3. I do have to worry about component selection for the PSU.
4. I do have to worry about adjustments relating to DC offset? Something about using a variable resistor to match the amps??
5. I do have to worry (cross my fingers) about interference from the PSU transformer.
6. I have to find a case that I like and assemble it.

Have I forgotten anything?

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
I’m pretty close to making the decision to build a Dynahi. I plan to buy two pre-built amp modules with heatsinks from SFT. I will build a Gilmore PSU but will buy the heatsink from SFT. I realize that a Dynahi can be a challenge to build. I think I may have got around a few of the trickier aspects of building one by purchasing some items pre-built. Here are my assumptions:

1. I do not have to worry about matching transistors
2. I do not have to worry about heatsinks
3. I do have to worry about component selection for the PSU.
4. I do have to worry about adjustments relating to DC offset? Something about using a variable resistor to match the amps??
5. I do have to worry (cross my fingers) about interference from the PSU transformer.
6. I have to find a case that I like and assemble it.

Have I forgotten anything?

Hi,

I just finished building mine from the boards up. I don't think #4 applies if you bought pre-built amp modules from SFT, but you should confirm this with him.

Cheers
DigiPete

Dec 9, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgardner
You should remember to think about your power supply transformer size if you are using the Gilmore PSU board. Too high on the secondary size voltage and you have overheat the power board.

You are right. I forgot to list that one. There has been alot of discussion on this. The two popular voltages are 30V & 35V. With 30V you have to make sure the voltage doesn't drop too low when it's loaded and with 35V the regulators will be working harder and generating more heat. I will probably go 30V but I will do more research before I buy the xfmr.

Speaking of buying, I placed the order to Lin at SFT last night !
eek.gif
No turning back now.

Dec 9, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

You are right. I forgot to list that one. There has been alot of discussion on this. The two popular voltages are 30V & 35V. With 30V you have to make sure the voltage doesn't drop too low when it's loaded and with 35V the regulators will be working harder and generating more heat. I will probably go 30V but I will do more research before I buy the xfmr.

Speaking of buying, I placed the order to Lin at SFT last night !
eek.gif
No turning back now.

Still listening to it uncased

Pics here: how do you get the pics to show up in the thread??

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...g&ppuser=19721

I used the Avel Lindberg Y236356 80VA 30V and the price was very reasonable too.

Pete

Dec 11, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
....I used the Avel Lindberg Y236356 80VA 30V and the price was very reasonable too.

Pete

Thanks for the tip. Nice heatsink solution. Where did you get that angle?

Dec 11, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. Nice heatsink solution. Where did you get that angle?

Hi Juergen,

Onlinemetals.com

1 piece @ $11.35/piece
Aluminum 6061-T6 Bare
Angle Structural
2.5" x 2.5" x 0.1875"
Cut to: 24"

Fortunately I had access to my Father-in-law's mill, so I milled down one side of the angle to 1".

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back