Ability to swap polarity to test wiring by driver options ?
Aug 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Noccer

New Head-Fier
Happy days - got a new DAC, resurrected the old HP1 phones, and have Ripped all my CDs, and have some Morduant Short tiddly speaker in case I don't want the cans on. All is good.

The 'cans' generally sound way better than the speakers, then one day there was a track where the stereo image sounded flat on the cans but better on the speakers. I think it was an old Byrd's track which later on had 'phasing' of the stereo image - probably "I wasn't born to follow". I figured they had made it flat to start and then blew your mind when they phased.

I traced the leads to my speakers and figured I had the speaker polarity wrong - an easy mistake when they are just backups and plain cables ! So that made the speakers and HP1s in line, but it leaves a question.

If studios can manipulate the polarity to get the effects they want - is there a way in digital playback to swap polarity for a quick check to see if you have got your polairty right? I have not seen it mentioned as a feature in sound cards etc.

I use WinAmp as my usual player - I don't see a polarity swap option - but I guess it would have to be a driver level option, and I am using PC to USB to DAC to AMP or HP1s.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back